first descent and/or new goods madness Spring '06 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-30-2005   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
first descent and/or new goods madness Spring '06

so after that exhaustive co springs creek post, there have been a lot of possible first d's, runs not previously mentioned, and some that are just starting to get scouted.i know a lot of paddlers are very bitchy about keeping shit like this "under wraps"- well to those, i say fuck off. why would you want to keep something for yourself? do it once all under wraps to make your point for video, and then let everyone else know so they too can enjoy it....but as far as the list goes, it looks like this .thanks to matobs, sward, steven, and everyone else who contributed to this.....

Arkansas:

Fountian Creek: manky and tight, bush issues.
Beaver Creek: Runnable, but epic conditions exist.
Browns Creek: Big three stage falls that appears to go.

Rio Grande:

Clear Creek: two VI waterfalls, low volume fast mank.
Ute Creek: Potential. Reports of box canyons.
Pole Creek: Good geology and topography for a good run.
Upper Rio Grande: From Pole Crk to Res is good, IV-V.
Bear Creek: Potential.

Gunnison:

Soap Creek: Potential.
Cow Creek: Lower is fast mank, upper (200'/m) requires backpack in.

San Miguel:

Horsefly Creek: Woody, fast IV-V. Portages.
Howards Fork: Has been run.
Bilk Creek: Upper is world class big stuff; lower is fast IV-V.
Bear Creek: Fast IV-V into Telluride.
Keystone Gorge: above Illium has been run.
Lake Fork: Big, has been run.
Deep Creek: Has been run.

Dolores:

Roaring Forks Creek: Lower couple miles IV-/IV+
Bear Creek: Bottom 2 mi is IV-/IV+
Stoner Creek: Has been run.
W Fork Dolores: Has been run.
Rico Falls: Continuous V at high water.

Animas:

Upper Florida River: Remote, but similar to other runs in area. V-V+.
La Plata River: Weird slides and falls, but runs.

Colorado:

Deep Creek: Lower is III-IV, upper is woody, unexplored but potential for IV-VI drops.

go get some next spring.

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005   #2

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
hey yeti-- nice work. i agree about not keeping stuff secret. as far as the san mig goes-- i do not think anyone has run the lake fork or deep creek. bear creek flows into the park in telluride, and we have only run the bottom 1/2 mile. super small and sketchy, ending in a 12' foot boof about 1' deep, not really worth it. the howards fork has one of the sickest class VI boxes i have seen, it is marginally runnable sickness between the hwy 145 and the town of ames. we ran from below that to the confluence with lake creek. upper lake has potential--there is a 40 footer and an 80 footer up there. i do not think anyone has boated any of it. upper keystaone canyon is 5-6. been run once i think. lower keystone is short, awesome 5- and gets run regularly in the spring. lower mile of bilk is fast 4+, with a middle 1/4 mile of class 5. you guys should seriously hike into the upper bilk and check that shit out--let me know if anyone's in the area next season, and i'll go up with you. leopard creek [into placerville] has fast woody mank, with 2 big class 5 falls/slides. good in late march/ early april for 10 days or so. the lower slide has been run, the top double falls has not, but i feel it's good to go. into the lower san mig, tabaguauche has potential, as it starts up by escalante and heads the other way towards the san mig near naturita. as far as the dolores goes--i do not think stoner ck. or the east fork has been run, but maybe.they are both doable, 4+ continuous. have not hiked to look at the upper east fork though. some guys did run part of snowspur ck.- very continuous roadside small mank. we had a very scenic 4 mile run down lost canyon creek into the town of dolores last year. class 2-3. i think the jewel of our area is the 2 mile run on the unc. below ouray. put in at the brown bridge and hang on through the suicide rapid. take out at the diversion and lap it. good 350 and up, but above 900 is sick. 1150 is as high as i have gone, and probably would not go higher.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005   #3

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
hey yeti--how about another summary of the rest of the creeks with potential in the state/region? co. springs region, conjeos, upper rio, se part of state, etc. thx--steven
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005   #4

How about the upper east Fork of the san Juan, above the tunnel of love. There is at least a 60'er in there. Then it drops into a box with some more large drops. I'm sure parts have been run or at least scouted.

Steve.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #5
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
see, this is how a boaters forum should work....steven knows the t-ride/ouray area, so he lets us know.....sward knows the durango/pagosa area, so he lets us know...ive got lots of info on the gunny area, so thats what ill spill...

but otherwie, these are some more runs to drool over:

Upper Snake River above Keystone Ski Area
Lower Snake River below Keystone
Blue River above Breck
NF Clear Creek
Lincoln Creek SE of Aspen-awesome but short box canyon
Tarryall Creek to the S Platte-?
Badger Creek E of Salida
Needle Creek of the Animas- lots of granite. the upper portions in chicago basin is awesome CA-style
Los Pinos R above Valliceto- theres a couple feeder streams (Lake Creek being one) that look promising for gorges.
Rio Blanco R S of Pagosa Spgs
Upper Navajo R SE of Pagosa Spgs
Conejos R above Platoro Res

lemme know
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #6

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
the la plata above gelande falls got blasted by a huge amount avie debris last winter, most of the drops are buried under huge piles of logs.tabaguache goes from unrunnable to class 2/3. it,s a spectacular canyon, well worth a visit but full of poison ivy. to any willing bodies with a chainsaw ,there's a potentially cool short early season run near dgo that needs a little work.i'm not keeping it a secret i just want some help with it if you want to know where it is,you'll just have to step up.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #7

d.e.
Got saws and gumption. Would love to talk to you about the upper F as well.

Steve
[email protected]
Old 10-31-2005   #8

Just took another look at our hike into the Upper F, we dropped in about 1.5 miles or so above Virginia Gulch, just south and west of Endlich Mesa. If you look at Google Earth you can see the drainage we hiked in on. It drops about 1200' in a mile from the mesa. It had potential, but very steep, I will post a pic. It is North of the Stump Lakes drainage. Also the start of the serious gradient for the Upper F below City Reservoir.

D.E., is the 40'er below the virginia gulch confluence?

Steve.
Old 10-31-2005   #9

upper f

steve,

saturday i went and ran the sieve section of the animas below rockwood and two of the guys said they ran the upper f two or three weeks ago. they didn't run the "big one" though.

talk to you soon

shawn
B.I.G.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #10

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
the big drop is about 3.5 to 4 miles north from the campground at transfer park.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote