Mountain Buzz banner

FIRE near Deckers

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  DanOrion 
#1 ·
Hey, I just caught the last bit of the news about this...Something about a raging fire in Deckers...does this affect running the river at all???

#3 ·
I heard on the news that they are gonna open the road this eveing sometime. It's nearly 100% contained and they are just gonna "mop-up".

#5 ·
How do I get to the Put-in/Take-out???

Thanks for the updates. I'm running Deckers this friday with a hand full of people from here, does anyone know how to get to the put-in, and the take-out?? The books and the info on the flow page is not very specific...I'm comming from the Springs. Any info would be helpful. Thanks again!

-Alex

#6 ·
The Deckers takeout is where the Colorado trail crosses the South Platte River on HWY 67. There are various putin options, but the most popular for a long class II float are near where the road goes from dirt to pavement upstream on Hwy 67. To get there from the Springs, go through Woodland Park and take Hwy 67. You'll find that the putin/takeout descriptions in Whitewater of the Southern Rockies and CRCII are wholey adequate once you follow them a few times. Trust that the authors give you all the information you'll need.

#7 ·
Okay, thanks. I have both of those books. Um, is this the same Deckers that's near Denver?? It's listed as "Chutes" ( Not Union Chutes) in the flows section, and listed at Deckers in the Whitewater of the Southern Rockies on page 308...

#9 ·
From the springs head to woodland park. IN woodland take 67 north ( turn at the right at the light by wendy's) 23 miles to Deckers. At Deckers turn right and you are on the river road. Most people put in at either Scraggy View or Night Hawk but the river runs right by the road so you can put in anywhere you want depending on how long a ride you want. Take out is the Colorado trail bridge.

edit-dan beat me

#11 ·
Thanks everyone. I remember seeing the sign for Deckers down there. How long of a drive is it from the Take-out back to the Put-in??
Its a little over 3 miles. The road follows the river.

As far as directions go, If you're like me and thought the directions on eddyflower were adequate then find someone to give you better directions. Took us several hours to find the put-in using those directions.

Basically (from denver) take 285 to foxton road, which is just past conifer, its on the left side, you can't turn directly into it you have to make a Uturn just after in the turn lane. Take foxton until you hit the river, its a significant amount of mileage probably 10 miles, go left at the fork by the river, take this road till you to the confluence of the north and south forks and just keep going about 3.5 miles upstream on the south fork where the road changes dirt to pavement and put in a little upstream at one of the parking areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.