Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Final Navajo Spring Peak Release Schedule

BUREAU OF RECLAMATION
NAVAJO RESERVOIR
2011 SPRING PEAK RELEASE SCHEDULE
May 24, 2011
SENT VIA FAX AND E-MAIL

The Bureau of Reclamation has finalized this year's scheduled spring peak release from Navajo Reservoir. The attached chart shows the end of day release rates throughout the spring peak release period. Reclamation will begin to increase the release on Monday, June 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM, reaching 5,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) on Thursday, June 9th at approximately 3:00 PM. The release will stay at 5,000 cfs for seven days. On Wednesday, June 15th at approximately 7:00 AM, the release will begin to decrease, reaching 500 cfs on Friday, June 12th at approximately 10:00 PM, where it will remain until further notice.

The release pattern, duration, and magnitude for the spring peak release follow the San Juan River Basin Recovery Implementation Program (SJRIP) Flow Recommendations for Endangered Fish.

Adjustments may be made to the release if significant precipitation occurs during the scheduled release period.

If you have any questions, or would like further information, please contact Ryan Christianson at 970-385-6590or e-mail him atrchristianson@usbr.gov.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
BUREAU OF RECLAMATION
NAVAJO RESERVOIR
2011 SPRING PEAK RELEASE SCHEDULE
May 24, 2011
SENT VIA FAX AND E-MAIL

The Bureau of Reclamation has finalized this year's scheduled spring peak release from Navajo Reservoir. The attached chart shows the end of day release rates throughout the spring peak release period. Reclamation will begin to increase the release on Monday, June 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM, reaching 5,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) on Thursday, June 9th at approximately 3:00 PM. The release will stay at 5,000 cfs for seven days. On Wednesday, June 15th at approximately 7:00 AM, the release will begin to decrease, reaching 500 cfs on Friday, June 12th at approximately 10:00 PM, where it will remain until further notice.

The release pattern, duration, and magnitude for the spring peak release follow the San Juan River Basin Recovery Implementation Program (SJRIP) Flow Recommendations for Endangered Fish.

Adjustments may be made to the release if significant precipitation occurs during the scheduled release period.

If you have any questions, or would like further information, please contact Ryan Christianson at 970-385-6590or e-mail him atrchristianson@usbr.gov.

I'm guessing you meant Friday, June 17th.
Old 05-24-2011   #3

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
interesting

When is the last time Navajo had enough water to do something like this?

I think it has been decades?
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011   #4

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
I'm guessing you meant Friday, June 17th.
Good catch! urgh! Shouldn't do these just before going home! I did have someone read it over for me, but it was missed. Thanks
Old 05-25-2011   #5

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
When is the last time Navajo had enough water to do something like this?

I think it has been decades?
The last spring peak release was in 2009. We had a huge spring peak release in 2008. There have been many more.
Old 05-25-2011   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I still look at the Juan as home

Although I haven't been there in over a decade. weird how we cing to the places of our child hood.
Old 05-25-2011   #7

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
Good catch! urgh! Shouldn't do these just before going home! I did have someone read it over for me, but it was missed. Thanks
Must have been thinking about my weekend river trip yesterday when I wrote this. Should have also said that 5000 cfs would be reached on Wednesday, June 8th. Sorry for the confusion!