Filming Big Wave KAYAK Surfing from a Jet Ski... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-06-2004   #1

Paddler
Filming Big Wave KAYAK Surfing from a Jet Ski...

Big Wave Kayak Surfing is really hard to film with most of the waves far from the camera and the surfers are hard to help in case of trouble with all the huge water...check out this article that talks about using a Jet Ski to film Kayaking in rivers...
Filming Big Wave KAYAK Surfing from a Jet Ski

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004   #2

if that's where the sport is going, cool. ever see the rainbow sheen of gasoline those things leave behind? i'll be on the rookie wave without the chainsaw soundtrack.
mccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #3

Paddler
I definitely understand that...back when technology wasn't as good and regulations weren't in place for manufactures jet ski, ski doos (snow mobiles), and motorcross were two strokes with strait pipes but now Jet Skis are four strokes like cars and use strait gas. Jet Skis have to pass alot more regulations now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004   #4

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Uh...yeah, this is pretty cool, but uh... I like to go to the damndest places, umm... the places where jet skis can't go and/or save you (or even help you get the best video footage)...I think they're called creeks! We don't even have big waves in Colorado! (o.k, maybe a couple in irrigation ditches), much less rivers where you can drive a jet ski around (o.k. except the Colorado), but really...jet skis and...kayaking, I don't know, maybe this is cool in places where there is no creeking.
EvanJ
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #5

Paddler
It is good to see some feedback on this topic...
Personally I can on think of one place where a Jet Ski might be feasable in the US and that would be on the Dries of the New at really high water which only happens a couple times of year. The jet ski is for the soul purpose of making movies like in Surfing. The only time you might see the Jet Ski on a river is in a Movie like Surfing Movies.
Old 10-07-2004   #6

in a van down by the river, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1974
Loud, noisy jetski brings in some killer freestyle shots!

Granted, rivers are really no place for jetskiis, the boys from LP really provided us all with some SIK eye candy from this stunt, and I'm grateful that they were able to serve up some great video and still shots from an upclose perspective that *might help some of us figure out what we're doing right/wrong when attempting some aerials and new trix.
* We all know that West Virginia's got sik creekin', and Luke's allright by me!
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #7

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Hey all: I can say that I wouldnt know of a place in CO where a jet ski in the river is very feasable. Most places where they can be used already have impact from a ton of boats, and even barges in the river (such as lachine). Also, a lot of other rivers don't hold the cleanlyness and beauty of a lot of colorado rivers. I only see this as a beneficial thing, similar to backcountry skiing with snowmobiles, just on a way lesser scale. I don't see a lot of people actually using jet ski's in the common public as a form of transportation on the river, but nevertheless.....an open mind to the idea, and much feedback is a good step forward.

Ben Guska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #8

Boat cam is the way to go for creeks

I have been working with boat cam for a few years. No gas, no chainsaw sounds and pretty good pics. I have worked a system that is cheap and works well for me. ($60.00 complete with camera) some of my latest vids can be seen on my site. If your are interested e-mail me and I'll give better descriptions on how it's done.

http://paddledog.homeip.xxx

Insert net instead xxx (this fools the robot scanners)

Steve
paddledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking