FIBArk- Pine Creek to Eddyline - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-02-2013   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
FIBArk- Pine Creek to Eddyline

Hey Mountain Buzz Boaters- Tom from the FIBArk Board here. Our web people are working diligently to get our river events plugged into our new online registration system. Until then I wanted to give everyone a heads up on some new events and changes for this year regarding Pine Creek. Mark your calendars- Thursday June 13th is Pine Creek Day!

Pine Creek Race- Sponsored by CKS
The traditional Pine Creek will take place Thursday morning. The race will happen at Pine Creek Rapid (not the numbers). There will be no low water cut off for the time trial portion of the race, but the head to head (boatercross) portion of the race will be run at the discretion of FIBArk depending on water levels and safety.

NEW!- Pine Creek to Eddyline sponsored by BOMBFLOW and South Main.
This year there will be a new downriver enduro race starting at Pine Creek Rapid and ending at Eddyline Brewing in South Main,BV. This race will start right after the traditional Pine Creek race. We will have rules, and more information on the FIBArk website very soon, but for right now here is a quick breakdown:

Pine Creek to Eddyline will be a 2 person team race. You must race in sight of your partner at all times, and time counts when the second boat crosses the finish line.

There will be a long boat and a short boat division. Boats 9' and shorter are short boats.

This is strictly a whitewater kayak race (at least for this year) No SUP, Rafts, Duckies, Sea Kayaks etc..

Registration for this event will be ONLINE ONLY, and there will be a questionnaire to pre-screen racers ability experience. FIBArk reserves the right to deny entry and issue a refund for any reason we see fit.

There will be a required gear list for this race. Every racer's equipment will be checked prior to the race. Failure to meet the gear list will result in a disqualification without a refund. The gear list will be online prior to registration opening. If you regularly paddle class IV/V whitewater I don't think anyone will have an issue meeting the requirements.

There will be awards and an after party at South Main in Buena Vista. We will have some BOMBFLOW Swag to give away, and Eddyline Brewing our title sponsor will be there with Beer.

Last but not least- To pull both of these events off we need multiple safety boaters, river spotters, and volunteers. If you are not interested in racing, and would like to help out.. please PM me. I have received a few messages already and I will start reaching out to people midway through may. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tom Barry
FIBArk Board

FIBArk Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Very cool idea! I like these new downriver races. BV to River Runners at Paddlefest and now PC to BV for Fibark. Nice.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Registration is now online!

https://www.fibark.net/event-registration/?ee=22
FIBArk Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Yes! Long live the Pine Creek boater X race! And the new race seems pretty sweet too. Thanks FIBark for bringing back the boater X race to its original locale.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Where does the Topo Duo fall in this race classification?
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I'm not actually racing, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
Where does the Topo Duo fall in this race classification?
If you're one of the paddlers? Probably last. OH, Snap!

Jim Gaffigan "audience" voice: Now that was uncalled for.

But seriously, there should totally be a tandem bracket.
Old 05-07-2013   #7

Silverthorne, Colorado
If I'm still paddling it, it means I'm not swimming out of it! Oh siz-nap!

But yes a tandem category would be pretty sweet.
Old 05-08-2013   #8

Did Pine Creek to BV become way more hardcore since I left the valley? There's requirements for gear I don't take on expedition type runs. Really, a cell phone and WAG bag? Anyone who is actually racing isn't going to have time, or need, to drink 2 litters of water in 20 miles. Maybe Ark Valley Class III/IV is more intense than I remember.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #9

Silverthorne, Colorado
The difficulty of this stretch of river might not warrant all of this extra equipment, but the insurance company providing coverage for this event might say otherwise...
Old 05-08-2013   #10

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Looks like a great addition!
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote