FIBark not complaining..just curious why? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2013   #1

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
FIBark not complaining..just curious why?

First, I want to give a big thank you out to the FIBark organizers. What a great time each year for the whole family.

BUT I was curious how come there are not more kayak and rafting vendors? I'd like to see booths showing off the newest products, some products for sale and or showing neat river stuff. When I heard BombFlow Magazine was sponsoring some events, I expected to see them represented at FIBark at a booth on Fri or Sat....but nothing. Is there a reason there aren't more vendors of kayak, rafting and SUP vendors?

Big cudos to the carnival and fair like events on the other end of the event. My kid went nuts on all the rides all day Saturday, while I enjoyed some Eddyline brew and freestyle kayak comps. I love New Belgium and I kinda missed them this year but Eddyline just makes the most sense for the venue and supporting truly a great local beer. GOOD CALL on Eddyline!

Anyway, great job guys.....just curious why more vendors aren't represented?

Chaco

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I completely agree and would like to see a more varied showing of boats and gear. It would be really neat if one could demo boats from several companies in the town park.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #3

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I thought this years fibark was mediocre at best. being forced to camp 4 miles from the festival prompted me and every single person I knew there to keep there money in there pockets- why buy food and beer there when you can get it cheaper elsewhere ? and the parking ?? total crap. speaking of crap -anybody use the toilet at the camp spot ? didn't think so...covered in it. and with everybody having to drive over in the morning and drive back at night it felt like Denver rush hour just getting around town. the number of vendors could always go up- but the number of local yahoos and party drinkers that have never even been in a raft or kayak or playboat needs to seriously go down. its a whitewater festival for whitewater enthusiast not October Fest. still got some great runs in with some great boaters, that made it worth the trip. but salida and whoever is in charge of the festival screwed up. bad.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013   #4

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillkilla View Post
the number of local yahoos and party drinkers that have never even been in a raft or kayak or playboat needs to seriously go down. its a whitewater festival for whitewater enthusiast not October Fest
lol, gear down there big shifter. the local non-boaters have just as much right to be at the festival in their town as you have the right to visit it
Old 06-16-2013   #5

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
visiting is one thing- dumping your money into it for three days is another. treating the boaters like they're a nuisance, when they're the reason for the festival is a bad idea.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013   #6

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
the festival prompted me and every single person I knew there to keep there money in there pockets
does not sound like you dumped money into it.

Quote:
its a whitewater festival for whitewater enthusiast not October Fest.
sounds like they were more of a nuisance to you, then you were to them

.....scuba steve here, over and out
Old 06-17-2013   #7

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Wow....you guys completely high jack my thread and made this a personal. I think the event is good with all facids, ie left bank partiers, boaters, local Salida folks just there for the beer and concerts....I like it all, and it makes the event what it is, but I was curious why more industry booths dont participate! Kayak, rafting and SUP vendors! Where are they and why?
Old 06-17-2013   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
local Salida folks just there for the beer and concerts....
I am wondering why you think the crowd that was there for the beer and music was Salida locals? In my experience the locals are generally the ones taking part in all the events (outside the pro freestyle) and doing all the volunteer work, and the people from the Front Range and even out of state are the one's getting shit faced and imo ruining the scene.

I give the organizers props for trying something a little different this year. Hopefully they can take the criticism with stride and try to get back more to the roots of the "First in Boating the Arkansas" festival. Many people put in lots of time and effort to make the fest go as smooth as possible. Thanks.

Oh, I totally agree about more river related booths. A little less funnel cake and a little more kayak, raft and sup would go a long way.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
and perhaps I should clarify...... front range boaters don't have a negative impact on the festival, I think it's the crowd that travels around to music festivals and parties like their 18. As a general rule they don't seem to respect the community they are visiting or the other people trying to enjoy the environment. I think Fibark should only have live music going between river events or after they have concluded for the day.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013   #10

FIBArk was a mess this year. It's no longer about boating. They ran expert rodeo finals during the SUP race and we sat in the eddy for an hour and 45 minutes for 3 rides. I was a little annoyed by that until they ran the junior men's and women's finals during the Hooligan race and realized we had it easy waiting for SUPers. The juniors are paddling at an extremely high level and it's pretty rough for them to compete between Hooligan heats. I guess it's not the early 2000's anymore when the freestyle was the main event at FIBArk.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote