Favorite 60 minute meal? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-21-2009   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Favorite 60 minute meal?

What is your favorite 60 minute meal on the river, mine is steak, sauteed mushrooms, baked potatoes, tossed salad and corn on the cobb. Quick and easy.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
good topic but post your recipe! I have a favorite really easy one. you go buy those bbq ribs in a vacuum package and heat on stove or in D.O., heat bush's baked beans in saucepan, heat canned corn. make a salad. voila!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #3

thornton, Colorado
Steak done over hot wood coals or charcoal briquets for BBQ, number 2 size potatoes ( fist size) wraped in aluminim foil, placed in coals for 45 minutes, mushrooms sauteed in butter in duch oven, corn on the cobb also wraped in aluminum foil with butter and placed in hot coals for 20 minutes. Season to taste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009   #4

thornton, Colorado
Whole salmon flays wraped in aluminum foil with butter, sliced onions, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper, placed in hot coals for 12 minutes. Served with Instant wild rice and grilled asparagus.
Old 12-21-2009   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
okay now I am hungry (again). gonna try these on my grand trip in feb.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #6

thornton, Colorado
Have your butcher slice a whole ham in half inch steaks so you can grill them over coals and than baste them with with honey BBQ sauce. Bake number 2 size sweet potatoes wraped in aluminum foil in hot coals for 45 minutes, then serve with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Boil broccoli and cauliflower then serve with graded cheese.
Old 12-22-2009   #7

dutch oven blackened prime rib with veggies, biscuts, cherry pie desert. If the group really rates them there is a steamed towellete served afterwards. We have served 16 with this meal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prime rib.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	779.8 KB
ID:	2174   Click image for larger version

Name:	ovens.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	858.8 KB
ID:	2175  

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Holy Cow raymo..... steak, salmon, ham, taters, veggies ...... can I sign up for your next trip? I am the queen of the dutch oven. Pizza, enchilada casserole, and chicken pot pie are some of my favorites. And of course dutch oven cobblers..... YUM-O
I'll have to try the taters in tin foil thing, sounds good. Do you have any trouble with them not cooking enough? Is the trick to get smaller spuds?
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #9

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Kebabs. We like lamb, deer or antelope. An all-purpose marinade: lime juice, soy sauce, and ginger. Vegs are infinitely variable, although I like those wee boiler onions more than sliced yellow onion. Skewer the vegs and meat, then spray with olive oil (those spray cans are great for river trips). Bamboo skewers are good for the river, as you can burn 'em after (but don't forget to soak 'em beforehand).

Click image for larger version

Name:	desogrill.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2179

Steak night is also a big event. We grill vegs and mushrooms first, then puff up the coals and do the meat.

Another goodie (for groups up to six) is risotto. Arborio rice, olive oil, cup of white wine and a can of broth. You can use leftovers or veg scraps, so it's a good catch-all for later in the trip. Extremely satisfying. Beautiful women seem to love it.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009   #10

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Holy Cow raymo..... steak, salmon, ham, taters, veggies ...... can I sign up for your next trip? I am the queen of the dutch oven. Pizza, enchilada casserole, and chicken pot pie are some of my favorites. And of course dutch oven cobblers..... YUM-O
I'll have to try the taters in tin foil thing, sounds good. Do you have any trouble with them not cooking enough? Is the trick to get smaller spuds?
KJ
Yes the number 2 size (fist size) potatoes when buried in hot coals work the best. Always hand pick your potatoes so it takes all the guess work out, of how long to cook your potatoes. 45 minutes works very well. Never cooked pizza, enchilada casserole or chicken pot pie, but they sound delicious, I was never very good at desserts. But always willing to try something new and find other boaters ideas. We always like to invite new boaters on rafting trips.