Fatty in an IK? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2019  

Fatty in an IK?

New guy here, and I've got a question. Shocking, I know.

I've been looking at IKs online,and i think that might be the right path for more river running enjoyment. I've had a play boat, a SOT, sit-in fishing yak, iSUP and a number of canoes. The Ex-wife has most of them in the basement, which means I'm limited to one of the two 16' canoes that I've got with me. The GF is probably going to be my next ex if I make her paddle in the same boat with me anymore, so I'm either in the market for more boats or more women. Boats are cheaper.

I've not done anything above class III, and aside from an upcoming commercial raft trip, I don't really plan to. I've seen a few IKs on the water, but none of my paddling buddies have one for me to try out.

So, after that long build -up, here is my question. It looks like these boats range from 13" -15" between the tubes. I'm 6 '5" @ ~240 lbs and I wear a 38" waist. How wide is too wide of a butt to fit and enjoy being in an IK?

Thanks folks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019  

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
From my own experience, you'll fit fine into most IKs and be comfy in one. The few that will likely feel too small are the Sevylor River X and the Aire Force. The bigger question in my mind is how comfortable are you on the water? The IKs, even at your weight, will feel more stable than a playboat, yet much more nimble than a canoe. IKs can be a blast if you're comfortable on the water, and also being in the water now and again.
Old 08-18-2019  

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estes View Post
New guy here, and I've got a question. Shocking, I know.

I've been looking at IKs online,and i think that might be the right path for more river running enjoyment. I've had a play boat, a SOT, sit-in fishing yak, iSUP and a number of canoes. The Ex-wife has most of them in the basement, which means I'm limited to one of the two 16' canoes that I've got with me. The GF is probably going to be my next ex if I make her paddle in the same boat with me anymore, so I'm either in the market for more boats or more women. Boats are cheaper.

I've not done anything above class III, and aside from an upcoming commercial raft trip, I don't really plan to. I've seen a few IKs on the water, but none of my paddling buddies have one for me to try out.

So, after that long build -up, here is my question. It looks like these boats range from 13" -15" between the tubes. I'm 6 '5" @ ~240 lbs and I wear a 38" waist. How wide is too wide of a butt to fit and enjoy being in an IK?

Thanks folks!

Check out Aire Outfitter II. Great boat for you!!
Im 59 200lbs and I paddle it solo. Abundant amount of room for gear and yourself I think it has the most weight capacity out of all IK. Kayak is almost 13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019  

Columbus, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2005
We are about the same build. I have a Aire Tributary Tomcat works really well for me & won't break the bank.
Old 08-18-2019  

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Loaned my trib to a friend probably close to your size or bigger. Worked great for him.
Old 08-18-2019  

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm a big guy, kind of like my tandem boat, not sure if a solo boat would work well for me.
Old 08-19-2019  

Thanks for the info! Feelin' good about this now. After a fishing float on Saturday I popped into the shop that happened to be at the put-in. They had an Outlaw I on consignment, so I sat in it on the floor and am glad that I did. Specs on the internet say I'm a bit heavy for that particular boat, but I'm on the right track. Will definitely do some research on that Tomcat. Thanks again folks!
Old 08-20-2019  

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
I would second the plan to get a tandem IK and row it solo. I ended up in a buddy's single duckie on Deso. Ran Coal Creek in it. It filled up like a bathtub, and took at least a minute to drain. I was able to ride it out, but an inflatable submarine doesn't handle very well.
I share similar dimensions, too.
Old 08-21-2019  
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
6'6" and 350

I can paddle our Lynx I , Tomcat solo, 11' Sotar IK, or a large Cronin Ducky with no problems. I wish I was your size again!

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What Learch said..I am 6'4" 'and was pushing 300 at one point and could still paddle my single Lynx or Force just fine..the only duck i ever tried that was simply too small was an In nova Safari ..was popping a wheelie at only 220- 230 lbs.....