Farmington-bound - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2010   #1

Jacksonville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Farmington-bound

Hey, four-corners area boaters... I was just accepted into the Dental Hygiene program at San Juan College in Farmington, and my wife and I will be moving there for at least two year. So... We've got lots of question about the area. I'll keep it simple with three ?'s:

1. I won't be starting the program until late summer. Any guiding/paddle-type jobs I could get for the summer?

2. We are really attracted to the available real estate. Worth it?

3. What kind of good hangouts are down there? Like the looks of 3 rivers brewing, but what else (besides trippin' up to Durango)?

FYI, I paddle IV+/V, row IV+, and my wife is a solid III+ paddler. We're excited about the re-locate. Any advice welcome.

Tyler

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010   #2

Jacksonville, Oregon
Damn, can't believe I forgot to ask about the water... How's the paddling? Any good mellow dog-swimming floats? Thanx...
Old 04-15-2010   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm sorry about your relocation to Farmington, at least it will only be for 2 years.

The only whitewater paddling type jobs are in Durango or if you want to venture out to Bluff, UT. There are fly fishing guide jobs on the San Juan, but the floating is really mellow.

Real estate prices in Farmington have been creeping up lately, although not as expensive as Durango. I wouldn't buy anything until you have spend some time living there.

3 Rivers is probably the best Farmington has. The new Taverna wasn't too bad, but a little on the expensive side unless you just want a gyro. Can't beat Dona Maria's for authenic Mexican food. The chain restaurants are there but of worse quality than you would find in other cities. I would be scared to spend too much time at the other bars and clubs in town.

Farmington has a two drop playpark on the Animas, but that is about it. You can float the Juan there, but watch out for those refridgerator sleepers and junked car sieves!

Welcome to Farmington, where the state bird must be the flying wal-mart bag!
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010   #4

Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I unfortunately did a two year stint in Farmington. If I were you I would commute from LaPlata County. I would seriously look at Hesperus and drive the LaPlata Hwy for 40 minutes. Ryan has great advice. I must add that Boon's Thai is excellent Thai food and the BBQ place is pretty good. I never found any mexican worth a damn in that town except for a little place on industrial blvd (it could be Dona Maria's). Three Rivers is okay beer and okay food. I second the "don't buy until you live there awhile".

In general I sum up Farmington with...The Natives hate the whites and the whites hate the natives. There are of course exceptions but that town is very racial and full of WT. San Juan college is a bright spot though. It is a nice little campus and has great facilities. You can rent a ton of outdoor gear cheap through the college too. There is a little book store on Main that is a good hang out too. It's rough man.
Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #5
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Guide schools will be starting all over Durango the first week in May. While I will try to be more diplomatic, I have to agree with Ryan and Ikedub. At least try to live and work in Durango this summer. You might find that you'd rather commute by the fall, or if not, find a place near SJC to rent for awhile.

The social scene in Farmington seems to revolve around local heavy metal bands at Gators, Rodeos, and happy hour at dive bars. If you're into that, you'll fit right in- as long as you go to the places with others of the same race/socioeconomic status/ political (Republican) views.

3 Rivers is a bright spot in the melee with pretty good micros and OK food. I concur about Boon's Thai food and Dona Maria's and, when you make the obligatory trip to check out Jack's Plastic Welding in Aztec, eat at Rubio's.

Good luck with your move and I'm sure we'll SYOTR this summer!
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #6

Stoner, Colorado
Headbangin' at Gators...how could I forget! Ah yes, and don't drink the Ocean Water if anyone offers.
Old 04-15-2010   #7

Jacksonville, Oregon
ok... hmm. You all are giving me a lot to chew on. When we visited, my wife and I thought it wasn't completely horrible. Yeah, kinda dusty and probably hot in summer, but doable for at least 2 or 3 years, until the housing market improves even a little, and then make a move into the Durango area, or elsewhere.

Hesperus, huh? Why there? It's tiny, and looks like a few smallish updated houses, but otherwise not on the radar. I get what you're saying about "LIVE IN DURANGO," but hey, we live in the Vail valley now, and we're not gonna be breaking into that real estate market anytime soon, let alone Durango's. From a pure real estate angle, Farmington's affordable and the market is prime to buy right now.

I'm also trying to minimize the commute time, too (read: bike to school).

Anyway, I suppose I got what I asked for- honest opinions. Thank you. Great heads up on the good chow/hang joints.

Anyone else?
Old 04-15-2010   #8

Jacksonville, Oregon
Hey, Takemetotheriver- there's a few house opportunities in Aztec- maybe a block or two from the Paco Pad factory... is Aztec at least worth checking out, too?
Old 04-15-2010   #9

Stoner, Colorado
There isn't anything in Hesperus but it cuts the commute and still puts you in nice country. I prefer to be out of town so that is why I said Hesperus.

I think Aztec is a slight improvement over Farmington. Bloomfield is considerably worse than Farmington.

You can hack it for a couple years but that market could fall on it's face. The reason that market has sagged is because O&G have sagged. I think that remains an overpriced market, even if it seems "affordable" compared to the Durango market. When the O&G goes away (which will probably be quite a while from now) they won't be able to give houses away there. There are a lot of out of towners in Farmington that can't wait to move back to where they grew up...but they have that "good paying job".
Old 04-15-2010   #10

Jacksonville, Oregon
Yeah, I read you about the O&G ebb n flow... One of the major reasons I decided not to go to Rangely, CO for school was that they are in the dumps with all the gas drillers leaving town. That place has become a depressing mess.

I suppose there could be an upswing in oil/gas sometime soon. I didn't consider that factor in the process.

We're heading down that way this weekend to look at houses. We've never even considered Bloomfield. Aztec may be an option, considering there's at least a hint of a whitewater community there, with JPW there. Thanks, ikedub.