Fandamnly Camping? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2009   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Fandamnly Camping?

Hey all,

Lookin to get outa town tomorrow night and camp with the family. Looking for suggestions on camp sites that would be good for kids (ages 5 & 6). I'm wondering if most places are mosquito infested with the wet summer we've been having. Paddling isn't the priority but some water to cool off in wouldn't hurt. My girls are paddling flatwater so lakes or reservoirs work too. I live in Eagle so something within an hour or two would be ideal. ...I thought tapping the buzz might get me away from the mainstream of crouded campsites and toutistas.

Thanks for any info you might offer. - chris

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009   #2

Leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokayakn View Post
Hey all,

Lookin to get outa town tomorrow night and camp with the family. Looking for suggestions on camp sites that would be good for kids (ages 5 & 6). I'm wondering if most places are mosquito infested with the wet summer we've been having. Paddling isn't the priority but some water to cool off in wouldn't hurt. My girls are paddling flatwater so lakes or reservoirs work too. I live in Eagle so something within an hour or two would be ideal. ...I thought tapping the buzz might get me away from the mainstream of crouded campsites and toutistas.

Hi just a heads up from a fellow Dad,
Have you tried Tourquoise lake or Twin Lakes in the Leadville area
both have a nice selection of Forest Service campgrounds. Our Family favorite is Belle of Colorado Campground (USFS) because it is a tent only area has a great kids beach and really wonderful scenery for flatwater paddling Osprey and Bald Eagles fishing sometimes obstruct your view of Elbert, Massive and other Sawqatch range peaks. Leadville is a fun old town that still has it's funk when you need a break from the woods! If you have any ?s about anything more remote in the upper ,upper Ark Valley let me know. Bugs haven't been oppressive and neither have the crowds this summer.
Tkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokayakn View Post
Hey all,

We were just on the Ruby-Horsethief section of the Colorado and had a great experience at Blackrocks. The bugs were surprisingly nonexistent for the most part, especially the mosquitoes. The flow of the river was great for this time of the year and American Spirit Shuttles met our shuttle needs from Loma to Westwater for $80. A wonderful family trip... Have fun wherever you go !
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thats funny, I was planning on going camping too. Oh yea, I'm going to arm myself to the teeth and bring my moronic wife and overly agressive dog with me. I am also planning on acting like an asshole by invading other people's camspsites and then starting fights with them. Luckily we'll be safe from mountain lions because I have my bazooka. Maybe we can meet up.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Perfect! ...just what I was looking for...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Packin up now.
Old 07-17-2009   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Thats funny, I was planning on going camping too. Oh yea, I'm going to arm myself to the teeth and bring my moronic wife and overly agressive dog with me. I am also planning on acting like an asshole by invading other people's camspsites and then starting fights with them. Luckily we'll be safe from mountain lions because I have my bazooka. Maybe we can meet up.
Sure, I am looking forward to sharing space with you. I am planning on bringing my nine motorhomes and plenty of my friends too. We tend to run the generators all night long. I hope you don't mind. Oh yeah, I'll bring my old, spare camp stove so that if you plan on throwing my equipment around I won't lose my good stuff.
Old 07-18-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Thats alright, I'm gonna have plenty of ammo. Because my wife is essentially the real life incarnation of Snow White, I have to be prepared for anything, including ex-Vietcong mountain lions.
Old 07-18-2009   #8

On top of guns and EVERY comfort of home (and more) like satelitte TV, make sure to tow the jetskis, ATV and a jeep behind your charter bus sized ATV. Find a campspot, shut the blinds and watch TV. Then, when you go outside, make sure to run a loud motor and burn gas while recreating whether its on the road, trail or water. Always carry your firearm incase you encounter wildlife or the scary, dangerous people that are flocking to national/state parks.
Old 07-18-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
The weapon should also be useful in case the air force randomly decides to drop Compton on your campsite. Just in case...
Old 07-20-2009   #10

Eagle, Colorado
Belle of CO -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkoch View Post
Hi just a heads up from a fellow Dad,
Have you tried Tourquoise lake or Twin Lakes in the Leadville area
both have a nice selection of Forest Service campgrounds. Our Family favorite is Belle of Colorado Campground (USFS) because it is a tent only area has a great kids beach and really wonderful scenery for flatwater paddling Osprey and Bald Eagles fishing sometimes obstruct your view of Elbert, Massive and other Sawqatch range peaks. Leadville is a fun old town that still has it's funk when you need a break from the woods! If you have any ?s about anything more remote in the upper ,upper Ark Valley let me know. Bugs haven't been oppressive and neither have the crowds this summer.
Just a quick follow-up. Thanks again for the advice. We went on Sat and while the campground sign said "full" my wife charmed the wide eyed host and he divulged that a site was about to open up. Beautiful place and about an hour away from Eagle. With truck parking it ended up being about $20 for the night. ...I'd never have paid that pre-kids but we had a great time all the same. For thos that "x"mark their Gazetiers camp sites 2-7 are the best locations as far as we could see.
PS - We did see am Eagle pull a trout from the water. Very cool.
Thanks again and any other suggestions for future camping are much appreciated!

SYOTR - chris