Family boating noob seeks advice and some random stuff. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-27-2010   #1

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
Family boating noob seeks advice and some random stuff.

Hey guys...

I've been lurking here for a while, and just officially joined this AM.

I have some amount of river experience...a few years guiding on the Arkansas, some personal trips on the Dolores, Colorado, Animas, etc.

Now though, I'm a family man...two kids about 3 and 6. We just bought a used Maravia 14' and are looking foward (read: super stoked!) about getting our family out on some float trips this summer.

So, knowing we missed permit season...what are some family-friendly floats in the SW? We live in NM and don't mind traveling anywhere in the 4-corners area.

We're looking at multi day (2-6 days?) trips with deep desert canyons and few (if any rapids). Any rapids should be able to be walked by the kids.

We have a trip planned with some friends in September on the lower San Juan (put in at Mexican Hat)...they have the permit.
We've done (pre-kids) float trips on Ruby-Horsethief and will certainly hit that again this year...probably spend a couple nights at black-rock.

What else? You don't need permits on the Dolores right? What is a good resource for predicting flows/releases from Mcafee?

Chama is nearby, and we'll probably get on a trip with friends, or score some orphaned "stand-by" permits on a whim.

Any other float trips in the SW that I don't know about? Salt? Loma?

Also...

We need a Oar Frame (NRS bighorn would be great) and oars (9' for a 14' boat sound good?). Some blingy Sawyers would be great, but for the next few years while my skills improve and we're just doing float trips some cheap Carlisles will be fine. Other randoms stuff too...fire pan and a pump. If anyone has any old gear that is still useable let us know. My new boat is sitting in Salida, so if I don't score the stuff used I'm going to be dropping a load at CKS in the near future!

Thanks to all! So excited to get back on the river this summer. Any advice, river suggestions, or gear would be appreciated.

BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010   #2

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
BLott-

The run you are are looking for may be right in your back yard - White Rock Canyon on the Rio Grande. Check out the info posted in this thread from last April:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...rip-23831.html

It is definitely possible to walk any of the rapids, and the cow paths make it pretty easy.

I unfortunately did not get a chance to run White Rock Canyon last year as I planned. Crappy weather shot our Memorial Day trip and then we bought a house. I am hoping to sneak in a trip in early May, but weather and work might interfere.

I hope this gives you some thoughts. For a warm up with the kids you could do the day run on the Chama and just break it up to be an overnight.

SYOTR,

George
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #3

Durango, CO
right, thanks! I have heard of the whiterock trip.. that is definitely on our list, and yes, it's right in our backyard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010   #4

Leadvillian, Colorado
firepans and oars can be tough to find used as people are more likely to break or lose one than upgrade, a frame on the other hand may be easier to find, just make sure you measure your boat well and know if it'll fit or not

you could always build one out of wood and paint it with urethane, the towers, pins, clips, etc. can be purchased at CKS, Down River, or that big company up in Idaho has 'em - if you're on a budget

good luck!
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #5

I have a DRE King Sling and Cargo Floor that I am not using anymore and I am pretty sure that you just bought that boat from my neighbors. So getting them to Salida before you come up would be easy enough. Let me know if that is something you need and I will figure out what they might be worth. They are both barely used.
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #6

Durango, CO
MJ- Thanks for the info. I've spent some time on homemade wooden oar frames. I have ~$300 in our budget for a frame so hopefully I can score a deal on a Bighorn for that. If not, I'll just have to...ahem...change our budget. There is a rafting company local to me that wants to get rid of a bunch of stuff, including firepans, big dry bags, etc. I'm going by next week to scope the stuff and see if it's been through the wringer. I'm not going to get a bunch of abused gear, but he says it's all "lightly used". sounds good to me. Also says he has some Carlisle oars he'll cut me a deal on. We'll see if they're bent to shit and swiss cheesed blades.

LA- is your neighbor R.A.? seems like a really nice guy, and really stoked about the boat. Actually, it came to him from a rafting company I used to work for...and we only had one Maravia (iin a fleet of Avons). About 11 years ago I wrapped that boat in the 'narrows' my rookie year. So I think I actually wrapped the boat I bought a decade earlier. crazy, eh?

pardon my noobness, but 'not sure what a king sling and cargo floor are. you got a link?
Old 03-28-2010   #7

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Don't forget supersoakers and water cannons for the kids - you'll thank me later
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #8

LA- is your neighbor R.A.? seems like a really nice guy, and really stoked about the boat. Actually, it came to him from a rafting company I used to work for...and we only had one Maravia (iin a fleet of Avons). About 11 years ago I wrapped that boat in the 'narrows' my rookie year. So I think I actually wrapped the boat I bought a decade earlier. crazy, eh?

Yeah that's him and he is a really nice guy....that is also a cool history for your new/old boat!

pardon my noobness, but 'not sure what a king sling and cargo floor are. you got a link?[/QUOTE]

Cargo Floor is suspended a couple of inches above the floor in the stern gear area and keeps gear from from rubbing on the floor. It also allows for free drainage under your stuff.
Down River Equipment

King Sling does the opposite, goes over all your stuff and keeps it in the boat.
Down River Equipment

My boat is just a little bit smaller than your new one so these should work for you if you are interested. My wife bought me one of these a couple of years ago

Revolutionary Everything Bag

and it's awesome (and I highly recommend it!) so they are just collecting dust. Like I said they have been barely used. Let me know and enjoy yourself. We are starting our 3 year old out on the overnight stuff this year as well. It should be good.
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #9

Durango, CO
thanks Leo,

i'll send you a PM about that gear.

Interested, especially in the floor.

We're looking at trying to time a Dolores trip (slickrock-bedrock). It looks like we could have some other families with kids. If you'd like to join, let me know. It'd be for ~ May 25thish, depending on spill releases from Mcafee, of course.
Old 03-28-2010   #10

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Buy the king sling too, you won't regret it, they really make rigging a no brainer.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote