Extreme Creeking? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-29-2011   #1

swift current, Canada
Extreme Creeking?

I know some of you are fans of a good creeking adventure... Perhaps more so "back in the day".
I saw this video posted on another board and it sparked a bit of a debate over the safety standards of the adventurers. I think we're all for a little excitement with calculated risks... but does this overstep the line? I respect that they are wearing PFDs and (hockey) helmets... But I don't think they understand the danger that comes with Strainers and Sweepers on these little creeks.

Reckless endangerment or Super fun?
Thoughts?

Check out the video here:
YetiAdventureFilms's Channel - YouTube

Swift_Current is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I think the injurys they recived will be reward enough, and remind them of the dangers present on the river and in life and general. It would of been GREAT if one or two of them had died, but to no avail. Darwin was off that day, that is all.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
"But I don't think they understand the danger that comes with Strainers and Sweepers on these little creeks."

"It would of been GREAT if one or two of them had died, but to no avail. Darwin was off that day, that is all."

My thoughts are, cut these guys some slack. Lots of people told me I was crazy when I started WW boating. I did my share of pushing my luck, but came out a better person.

Sure, the young men in the video took some chances.

My take is they were pushing their limits. They did get hammered on the run but handled it and kept going. Maybe they will learn from the trip and some day be pro boaters. No matter what, they got off the recliner watching TV and outside enjoying the water and environment.

Some people look at the moon, wish they could go there and that is as far as it gets, others take chances, learn, work hard to get the skill sets needed and become astronauts. My bet is these young men will some day be pushing the limits of WW boating and we will still be watching their videos.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011   #4

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
No different than what some of my friends and myself would do when we were getting into whitewater, its really more of how much do you want to get scratched up....

I have been with the dick draggers in gore before(they prefer full body padding), I thought they were crazy. You can watch Rolf Kelly drop Metlanko in a tube on Vimeo as well, I honestly found that much more extreme than taking a walmart raft down some class 2++.

What I do find disturbing is reading that someone actually prefers that one or two of these guys would have died on the river. Doesn't matter how stupid/crazy I think someone is being, wishing death upon them is egotistical and arrogant.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
They seemed woefully unprepared; I didn't see one beer between the four of them.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #6

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Looks like fun to me. Least of the stupid shit I did growing up...and still do

Nothing is more dangerous that hanging out with Crazy Nate!
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #7

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
"What I do find disturbing is reading that someone actually prefers that one or two of these guys would have died on the river."

No kidding.

I don't know about the rest of you paddlers, but I just love this stuff. Obviously there is a bit of danger, but these guys have grit and I'd gladly take a sweet original adventure like this over some loathsome, inane YouTube Pop Culture commentary video from a 14 year old who has never seen the sun. This is exactly the sort of video that gets people stoked about being outside and maybe brings people into the sport.
VARDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The helmets seem unnecessary.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #9

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
I don't know about that. They are in Canada, so they probably went straight from the river to play hockey.
VARDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #10

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARDA View Post
This is exactly the sort of video that gets people stoked about being outside and maybe brings people into the sport.
this is the kind of video that gets people killed, and makes people downplay the real risks in life. mother nature does not give a shit, and it is the mentality of people like this who die every year and institute more closures and rule and laws. preventing people with real time and experiance would not take a risk like that.

that is just dumb, but it is no fair for me to expect death of them because of lack of complete inexperiance in such a controlled state. (fuck you)

I could see your point if there was any benifit to it at all but in this case there is none, all it will do is inspire the youth to continue to get hurt and prove more ignorant than the last.

glad it was video taped, history in the making right there...

I am sorry I said it would have been great, it would have been benificial.
is what i meant to say...
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote