exploratory boating - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-05-2008   #1

exploratory boating

Hi everyone,
Next summer I might be off in search of some new white water on a big expedition. The only problem is that we have not decided yet where we are going. Does anyone here have any ideas where there are still a lot of first descents to do. Somewhere that is largely untouched by kayak. I was thinking maybe north russia. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
James

broadleyjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadleyjn View Post
Hi everyone,
Next summer I might be off in search of some new white water on a big expedition. The only problem is that we have not decided yet where we are going. Does anyone here have any ideas where there are still a lot of first descents to do. Somewhere that is largely untouched by kayak. I was thinking maybe north russia. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
James

Afghanistan or Kurdistan.
Old 11-05-2008   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
unfortunately most untapped whitewater zones lie within either hostile territory (africa) or just plain in the middle of bum fuck nowhere (a lot of south america)

but there is a lot out there.......you just gotta look
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008   #4

B.F.E., Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadleyjn View Post
Hi everyone,
James

Isn't that the point of exploratory boating? To explore?
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #5
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Check out the Balkans. I just got back from a 2-week trip to Montenegro (and Croatia) and there is a lot of water over there in their mountains. From what I could tell, much of it was seldom or never run. In addition to the above mentioned, check out Bosnia, Serbia and Albania. Good luck.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Some friends bagged 4 firsts and a second descent just a few years ago in Panama. They said there was still stuff to do there. It was pretty stout as I recall. They even had an entrapment doing a class V scout - they were on scree checking out a drop and stuff started moving. On of them got stuck under a sizeable rock, and the other three guys estimated that they had to lift about 175# each to get it off of him. Could have been much worse.

My personal vote if you really want to get out there would be eastern Turkey, but maybe the Russians and Czechs have already been there.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #7

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The following is just my opinion, and after a few glasses of wine! I feel there is too much emphasis on first descents today. After believing we boated a few Colorado firsts, I still hear of boaters claiming firsts of these runs ten to fifteen years later. If a run is not in your backyard and you do not have consistent data about it, then please do not claim a first descent. Just because some locals do not recall anyone boating a river, it does not mean no one has. It could have been a rainy day and they were inside and did not see the flotilla drift past! I would look for remote wilderness runs and enjoy the solitude of the journey. To claim a first descent today, it has to be cutting edge creeking or as Yeti noted, super remote. You will never truly know if you were the first to boat a river, and to claim so seems petty and vain. Leave the first descent ego trip behind and enjoy your trip. I envy you as I am out of action with shoulder probs. Please remember to post info/picts of your adventure. John
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Panama has TONS of shit left to boat, when I was down there I saw tons of unrun stuff, access is the hardest part down there ( jungle=snakes=scary). But I would totally be up to going back there and firing some shit up. great people, great food, not too expensive and a great country that uses the US dollar.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #9

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
TJ, forgive me since i have not boated Panama, but how can you tell something is unrun by looking at it? How do you know someone didn't run it two days before you were there? And another thing, just because it has been boated doesn't mean it is unworthy of being boated again (in response to your intro sentence).Broadleyjn, if you are looking for a big adventure, search for remoteness and not the most difficult one or two day creek run. PS if you are looking for another first, just bring along an American woman. The subcategories for first ascent/descent are much greater if you can fit into that category, and it might get you sponsorship! Please respond to this trolling.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
I was with john miller who has done basically all the boating panama (most was done like 7 or 8 years ago with a pretty good crew including andrew Holcomb), he was the guy in the above post that had the rock land on him on a scouting mission. We were driving around to different runs and would pass over a run and look up it and he would tell us the info on the run and if anyone had done it and access, gradient ect. I've never done a first descent but I do enjoy going out and doing runs that I have no beta on besides put-in and take out and maybe overall difficulty of the run and of course if it is multi day that just makes it that much better. And just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean that it is worth doing. If I didn't have a long time in a area I would try to hit up the classics. O yeah and there are plenty of first D's left in the country to our north you just have to be burly to get them.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote