Experienced Grand Canyon Boatpersons needed for July 25, 2011 kid trip - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-31-2011   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Experienced Grand Canyon Boatpersons needed for July 25, 2011 kid trip

Hi, we have a Grand trip launching July 25 going to the Lake and taking out on August 12. We need a lead boatman to row a rented 18' Canyon boat. We do have three full trip spots available for the boatperson and their partner and we need another full trip oarsperson and a 2nd half oarsperson as well.

The catch to this trip is that we are taking kids and a 22' motorized snout (quiet motor). We have 6 kids ages 8 to 13 on the upper and 5 on the lower. My husband was motor guide in the canyon (trip leader, single boat trips) and on Cat as well. I was a guide in Idaho, France, Moab and have about 20 trips in the canyon, but I want to be on the snout with my husband and kids so I will not be rowing despite my experience.

We are super easy going and do not want to be sidled with a "type A", anal or bossy person, someone who wants to get wasted every night, do drugs or someone who doesn't like kids or is just grumpy. We like to drink a little and have fun but because of the kids this just wont be a huge rowdy party trip. We just had two boatmen back out this week and so now I am getting a bit worried about how to pull this off.

If this sounds like it could work for you, call me at 719-530-1047 and we'll talk!

landclau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011   #2

Hi,

You say you're going to the lake. Does that mean you're intending to run Pearce Ferry Rapid?

Just curious...

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #3

Salida, Colorado
We are taking out at Pearce Ferry just above the new rapid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
sounds like a 'work' trip to me. Compensation? Beyond just getting to go down the Grand.........
Old 05-31-2011   #5

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by landclau View Post
We are super easy going and do not want to be sidled with a "type A", anal or bossy person, someone who wants to get wasted every night, do drugs or someone who doesn't like kids or is just grumpy. !
Good luck!
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #6

Hi,

You also may want to post this over at gcpba : Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association where it would get additional exposure to a somewhat different demographic. (grin)

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 06-02-2011   #7

Salida, Colorado
If you are the type of person that thinks that a trip in the most wonderful place in the world, seeing it through the eyes of children is work that needs to be compensated for, you would not be the kind of person we would want along
Old 06-02-2011   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by landclau View Post
If you are the type of person that thinks that a trip in the most wonderful place in the world, seeing it through the eyes of children is work that needs to be compensated for, you would not be the kind of person we would want along
ha. yeah good luck.

I think it sounds like work because you'll have a motor and need rowers (respectfully). Also, children can't provide for themselves. My trip last summer included a small group of 18 year olds who wouldn't pull thier weight. Not because they were young, but because they were worthless eagle scouts. 11 people doing the work for 16 gets old fast, sorry.
Ben.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #9

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thing is I feel like every time someone in my group of friends has a permit down there we fill it in like 2 days with plenty of people standing by waiting in case someone drops out. The Grand definitely is work if your with the wrong group, that why guides get paid on commercial trips.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #10

Hi Landclau,

Given this is the Buzz, I don't suppose any of the replies so far are all that harsh (grin). But perhaps you didn't take into account the way your original post might have been interpreted by some folks.

The motor rig/rowing rig disparity may seem a disadvantage. I've done a trip like that and it really wasn't all that bad. However, others might not be attracted to the idea for a variety of reasons -- motor noise, difference in workload all day, wilderness ethic, etc.

But also importantly, people who have been down the Grand know that on a non-commercial trip, effort is usually required by all members of the group to make it work well. So prospective rowers for your trip would need some pretty solid assurances that possible workload disparities created by the age of some of the participants would not be problematic. I'm thinking in terms of how well children can be integrated into core activities like kitchen duty, groover duty, dish washing, loading and unloading boats, and so forth. Nobody on a private trip wants to feel like they are "crew" serving the rest of the group.

A final thought. Parents are quite willing to do all sorts of things to enrich the lives of their children -- and a GC river trip would absolutely fall into that category. But non-parents may not have the same priorities when sizing up possible participation.

At any rate, good luck on putting the trip together and finding the right folks to help.

Rich Phillips