Expedition Drybags - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-08-2008   #1

Expedition Drybags

So with the good expedition talk going on I thought I'd ask what people they prefer for dry bags. Basically, I see the following options:

Seal-Line: They're super light-weight and and have the window. They're flimsy and don't feel durable but I can attest that they have kept my gear impressively dry under, ahem, very wet circumstances. I found them difficult to get a tight roll in, though.

Compress-Bags: A little pricier but after you roll'em you can further compress them. Awesome how small they get, they're pretty light-weight and seem to keep stuff dry.

Purge: Suck the air out.

Valve: Roll'em and then blow the air back into 'em so they double as float bags.

Anybody have any experience or preferences of why I should spend my REI dividend on one versus the other?

COUNT

COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I like the Sealline baja bags. None of that weird clear material, seals well and is tough. The yellow is nice because it reflects enough light to see inside it.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #3

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
use your divy (REI) on cold weather gear and go to the outlet.(also on-line) already 50-70 percent off.

and as far as expedition dry bags go, its all in the "roll" as you may, or may not know........

Buy some trash compactor bags, and take 5 min. instead of 2, and take care of what takes care of you.(warm stuff, not whiskey,women or wine) ( thats another topic all together))....Yo?
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008   #4

Ahh, the 3 W's. Yes, I take care of my Whiskey, Women, and Warm Stuff, in that order. Why?, you may ask. Well, no matter how much the shit hits the fan, the whiskey will keep me happy and at least lend the illusion of warmth. With the whiskey in good order, the women easily follow. And with those to to keep me warm, what does it matter if my clothes are dry or not?

Also, rolling is not a problem. I am a master roller (no, not that, Mike).

In the past, I've lined my big drybag with a trashbag which provides an extra barrier between the water and the goods as well as a medium for any water that makes it through the roll to condensate in.

I've got some good coldweather gear.

I guess the root of the question is that when packing to put your stuff in your kayak, do you go for compressibility, sucking air out for a tight fit, blowing it in for flotation, or absolute light weight.

Quetchai?

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #5

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
nothing fits in my Angst, thats why I carry it on my raft. sorry for any illusions you may have had about goodness......

don't have any idea as to self support in a yak...although we usta shit in a duct taped pringles tube for black canyon....... CAREFUL WITH THE LID...
Old 02-09-2008   #6

Watershed Futa bag.
Air tight = water tight

Thats all that needs to be said.
Old 02-09-2008   #7

Futa Bags

Hey,
Above post is on the money. Futa bags are durable and fit well in a kayak. You can use them as float bags after the gear is in, but usually they take up enough room to just leave 'em compressed. Every other dry bag I have ever used has failed at an inopportune moment. The Futa's have been so reliable that I simply stuff my sleeping bag in to the drybag and off we go. Purchasing large size silica pouches and tossing them in the drybag has worked wonders for sucking moisture out of clothes and the bedroll. You will not regret spending the money on the Futa bags....
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #8
Uncle Rico

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Watershed bags have always worked really well for us. Stuff stayed dry when I flipped on the Grand. They cost a little more but worth every dime!
rpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #9

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Ditto on Watershed. Worth the money, made in Asheville and kept my stuff dry after one of the rafts flipped in Crystal. Not sure if REI has em though.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #10

Now why would you go to REI to get them when your Local Kayak Shop normaly has them in stock?

Tags
bag