Evaluating Big South Difficulty - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-25-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Evaluating Big South Difficulty

I'd like a little bit of a feel on how difficult Big South feels. I've been having a fairly good season, and have felt comfortable in Black Rock, Bailey, Daisy, the East, and Big Thompson. I managed OBJ, but didn't feel comfortable on it. Anyone have suggestions for comparable yardsticks for the Big South?

For what it's worth, this all may be somewhat moot for me until next year; life and low flows have both gotten in the way of my boating in the past three weeks or so, and though I'd still be comfortable boat-scouting IV, I might be a touch gripped boat-scouting IV+, and Vs would all be gametime decisions after scouting. From what I've gathered, BS isn't something to be done for the first time off the couch. Thoughts?

craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I wouldn't suggest it for you jake. you should deffenetely be on your game because of the long day ahead. if you are not comfortable for running IV+ and some class v moves behind a lead i personally wouldn't hit that creek.

but do as you please brother im not trying to stop you.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Think of the bigger rapids on Bailey and Blackrock. Would you be comfortable running a bunch of those on directions, including some at the end of the day when you are 6 hours into the run? If so, its good to go with a good guide and a few portages.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, I think I'd be all set for it earlier in the season, but not so much coming off the couch.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #5

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
I'd like a little bit of a feel on how difficult Big South feels. I've been having a fairly good season, and have felt comfortable in Black Rock, Bailey, Daisy, the East, and Big Thompson. I managed OBJ, but didn't feel comfortable on it. Anyone have suggestions for comparable yardsticks for the Big South?

For what it's worth, this all may be somewhat moot for me until next year; life and low flows have both gotten in the way of my boating in the past three weeks or so, and though I'd still be comfortable boat-scouting IV, I might be a touch gripped boat-scouting IV+, and Vs would all be gametime decisions after scouting. From what I've gathered, BS isn't something to be done for the first time off the couch. Thoughts?
Big South can be as hard/easy as you wan't it to be. Most of the drops are a combination of a few moves then a pool. I think your good to go considering your resume. Make sure you have a guide because some horizon lines can sneak up on you. you'll love it.

Kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
go with somebody who has done it a few times. i just did it for the first time this week and it was very nice to have somebody who knew where things were at. it has alot in common with bailey, but much longer. there are alot of horizon lines. some need scouting and some dont. if you went in there without a guide it would make for a long day. but like kent said, you can make it V+ or 4, depending on how much you walk. it is my new favorite run in colorado, great scenery and great whitewater.
Old 07-25-2008   #7

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
It would be a VERY long day if you stopped to scout all the IV+/V- rapids. You almost have to fire up a few of them with good directions and following a buddy that knows the lines. It can take 6-7 hours if you spend any amount of time just scouting the big 5. There have been so many boaters out there lately and that usually adds to the scouting ritual (also makes the day more interesting for sure).

To put it in perspective, I'm comfortable on all the runs you listed (cept Black Rock, haven't been on it).....and the BS always has me more gripped for sure. I think the remoteness adds to the stress factor.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
[quote=GoodTimes;107282]It would be a VERY long day if you stopped to scout all the IV+/V- rapids.

I agree. Boated this for the first time last weekend. I am mostly just a class 4 boater and did just fine. I walked the 5 biggest rapids plus a couple at the beginning (probably would have been ok on them). Everything that I ran was on verbal beta, boat scoating or just following the leader. There was a lot of semi continuous rapids in certain sections that would not be all that fun to walk. It was tiring because I was a little bit gripped. Many rapids were long 4 to 5- with some pools to rest in inbetween kind of similar to a longer Blackrock rapid but not really any harder. And some fun little drops (and very fun big drops for those better than I).

have fun.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
A nice way to do it the first time if you're unsure of it is to split it up into two days. Leave a car with camiping gear at peterson lake and then boat the first half, leave your boats at the river, walk a mile up to the car to camp and then run the rest the next day. Big South days can be long and tiring for newbies. This make it much more relaxed and you'll probably end up running more drops being not so tired or rushed.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Bring mosquito repellant! Especially if you are camping.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote