Escalante Visual - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2013   #1

Commercial Paleontology
Escalante Visual

Ok..well I said I'd report in again..My goal was to get down there earlier today & see if it was up from last nite...I left about 10:30 -11:00 am...Unfortunately I got about a 1.5 miles from the potholes & got a flat on my Dualsport bike...5+ miles later of pushing & running with a 400lb bike I made it to the Gunnison where some ranchers were very kind & helped me get down to the Delta Yamaha shop...I finally got to the potholes around 6:30 pm approx. same time as last nite...Yup that's right..7+ hours later...Sorry for the long story.......Sadly the water level was exactly the same as the nite before...so it did not come up at all even with another warm day...I'd say it's history...though I do believe that tommorrow morning a low water run could be had cause it will be a bit higher then..So several of us plan on heading down there bright & early to tryn catch a run...If you aren't tooo far away it might be worth a shot...but I certainly can't say definitely..Sorry...

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013   #2
Boof like a Utard.

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Geez, after all that, thanks for your efforts. Good luck tommorrow.
kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #3

Commercial Paleontology
So we hit up Escalante early this morn & the water level was barely much higher than last nite...Was a little wood in a couple places hardly worth mentioning but still need to be heads up....Had to portage Leap of Faith & Rib Cracker but every thing else goes....except of course the Falls in the Gorge..Leap of Faith would go with a fine line but wasn't worth it to us..Guessing it will probably be about the same level tomorrow morn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013   #4

Any word on flows today (Wed.)? A small group from Durango may head up Thursday night for a quick lap on Friday. Just wanted to make sure the fin is covered. Ciao and thanks!

Steve.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Considering the info from this current thread and the past one here: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...eek-47388.html

I would stay in Durango.
Old 05-15-2013   #6

Commercial Paleontology
Fin Covered? Ha!...If the fin were covered...it wouldn't be considered a low water run & we wouldn't need to be portaging Leap of Faith & Rib Cracker...if there was that much water I certainly would be telling everyone that the conditions were good to go...may as well stay south...Though... just FYI the Uncompahgre in Ouray is starting to come in..
Old 05-15-2013   #7

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
Fin Covered? Ha!...If the fin were covered...it wouldn't be considered a low water run & we wouldn't need to be portaging Leap of Faith & Rib Cracker...if there was that much water I certainly would be telling everyone that the conditions were good to go...may as well stay south...Though... just FYI the Uncompahgre in Ouray is starting to come in..
Agreed on all.

Except that at this moment the Delta and GJ gauges have a differential of over 1100cfs. And although we got a spritz of rain in GJ today it wasn't nearly enough to bump the levels at all, much less that dramatically. Wonder if it actually came up?

I want to believe...
Old 05-15-2013   #8

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
You have to look at peak flow for both gauges. Looks like difference for today is 800 cfs. Probably running boney jankety ass low but please prove me wrong. If it was going to go it woulda gone with the heat beginning of the week.
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote