Escalante Update 4-27-08 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2008   #1

Escalante Update 4-27-08

Despite the cold night time temps Escalante continues to run pretty high. Sunday it was at the line between Medium and High (when you can start running 57 to the left.)

A fun time was had by all. Lots of carnage too.

If the predicted high temps come this week it should get huge!

Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
how big is everything else in your neck of the woods over there? lots of snow in the anthracites and up grand mesa....whats this season look like compared to others?
Old 04-28-2008   #3

It's still cold around here, but things are coming up anyway.

I bet after this upcoming warm week things will cut loose.

All the creeks coming off Grand Mesa will probably go to unrunnably high very quickly. We took a look at a few of them Friday and they are already high, and the snowpack on Grand Mesa is sick.

Dolores is happening. San Miguel will soon. Unc will get huge soon. Escalante will probably get unrunnably high (at least for me) by next weekend. I guess Taylor is cranking - but really cold. The Animas will rock this year.

The San Juans are loaded with snow. So is the Gunnison Drainage. Hopefully we will get to see the Gunny Gorge at 10,000 CFS again. I doubt it. They are draining the resevoirs to prevent that from happening again.

I imagine all the creeks around Crested Butte will go big this year.

What's the front range snowpack look like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008   #4

Oh Yeah....Anthracite Creek is already cranking. It will be sick by the time you can get to the put in.
Old 04-28-2008   #5

How long will it run this year do you think. Whats the upper part of Leon creek look like I was fishing up there but can't remember much.
luke c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R Chamberlain View Post

What's the front range snowpack look like?
It looks solid but it's not moving yet.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #7

I should have specified what creek I was asking about . Escalante how long might it run this year.
luke c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R Chamberlain View Post
I guess Taylor is cranking - but really cold.

The San Juans are loaded with snow. So is the Gunnison Drainage. Hopefully we will get to see the Gunny Gorge at 10,000 CFS again. I doubt it. They are draining the resevoirs to prevent that from happening again.

I imagine all the creeks around Crested Butte will go big this year.
The Taylor is in the same situation as the Gunny Gorge- theyre releasing big now so they will have room later. Not sure how much room its going to take to contain the 170% of normal snowpack level in the basin! It will get big though, the dam keepers are saying at least 700 to 900 but there will likely be more. and yes, it is COLD!!!

There is a LOT of snow still in Crested Butte, its still winter up there and people are snowmobiling and skiing still instead of boating. Its gonna be a while but when it does they will rock! Same with Lake City area. The lower Lake Fork runs are still low but that will soon change!
Old 04-28-2008   #9

Tom- Great to paddle with you guys yesterday. Hopefully Escalante will run for another week and a half since I am coming back over next week. Cliff and I went up and ran Buzzard Creek after Escalante yesterday and had a great time. Flow was pretty good, maybe medium, and super continuous as the books say. Beautiful creek though. Any locals that have never done that should get up there in the next week or so since it looked like there was a lot of snow still up there waiting for some really warm days. It would be a wild ride! Watch out for multiple trees blocking the entire river, a few wires that are easily duckable, and one very dangerous fence in the last mile or so, that looked runnable on river right. We walked around it as darkness was approaching. As far as the wire strung across the creek halfway through the run, that hangs low as stated in CRCII, we never encountered it.
alacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #10

Luke - I think Escalante will get too high to run for a couple of weeks once it warms up. Then I think it will calm down and run good for a few more weeks. I hope to catch it on it's way down.

Andrew - It was great boating with you and Cliff on Escalante. Buzzard is a great creek and can get to be quite a rush when the flow comes up. And I'm sure that thing will go huge this year! The wood and fence issues get much worse at high flows.

P.S. did those guys ever get that subaru put back together - or are they still at the take out?

Tom