Escalante to Whitewater Takeout - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-20-2006   #1

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Escalante to Whitewater Takeout

In the past I have been warned about vandalism in cars when leaving them at the Whitewater take out. Has anyone experienced this recently? Aside from poison ivy are there any concerns out there? Thanks

akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Mosqitos are my main concern for that run. That and its unwaranted popularity. There are NO rapids. (i did it at 3500 cfs, maybe there are rapids at other levels) The scenery is great in the one canyon, but fairly lousy throughout the the rest.

It is not a run I will ever do again, unless I end up as a boysout leader for canoes.

In all fairness, if you get the one good campspot, have the inclination to go hiking and better luck with mosquitos than I did, you could have a really nice trip.

D
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #3
cma

Boulder
If "Bob" a canoe guide tells you that the middle camp ground at Dominguez canyon is a great camping site.. Don't believe him!!! also if you camp anywhere below Dominguez prepare yourselves for alot of cow poo.. We shuttled with Rimrock in Fruita so our cars were parked safely in Fruita at Rimrock. We floated last May and the level was high enough for us to go over the dam which produced a few nice waves, there are few other spots that are exciting in a canoe but just enough to make you lift your beer and say "Weee" in a raft. Oh yeah, I never thought mosquitos really existed in Colorado (being from Minnesota originally) until I floated the Gunnison, use 3M Ultrathon, it will stop 'em.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006   #4

Re: Escalante to Whitewater Takeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by akblair
In the past I have been warned about vandalism in cars when leaving them at the Whitewater take out. Has anyone experienced this recently? Aside from poison ivy are there any concerns out there?
The PI at the Whitewater takeout is under control, not a big concern (but I'd tie up any dogs and small children).

Multiple break-ins on June 03/04 -- locked vehicles had windows smashed and were ransacked. Unlocked vehicles were simply ransacked. The one vehicle with a hide-a-key was taken for a joyride into the river. Contact Mesa County Sheriff (Dep. Means) for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank
Mosqitos are my main concern for that run.
They are notoriously bad.

Quote:
There are NO rapids. (i did it at 3500 cfs, maybe there are rapids at other levels)
Interesting, there is always a rapid (for what it's worth) within the first 15-20min of the float ("Hail Mary"). The lowhead dam, with appropriately high water levels, is another. Nothing terribly long and sustained, but it's not total flatwater either to Dominguez Canyon. Can be a lot of fun for open canoes.

Quote:
The scenery is great in the one canyon, but fairly lousy throughout the the rest.
Agreed; up to Dominguez it's pretty, much beyond that it's not.

Quote:
In all fairness, if you get the one good campspot, have the inclination to go hiking and better luck with mosquitos than I did, you could have a really nice trip.
There are at least two good camp spots at Dominguez, both easily accessible with good shade and obvious spots for a kitchen. Plenty of good spots for tents as well to remain shaded most of the day.

A bit of exploration into Dominguez Canyon yields heaps of fun stuff (particularly in the creek) for the price of a 30-45min hike.
dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #5

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks . . . I forgot about the mosquitos. I might have to rethink this one!
akblair is offline   Reply With Quote