Escalante snotel is above average - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Escalante snotel is above average

Just though I would throw out the only positive data point i have recently seen. Columbine pass snotel (escalante creek) is 108% of average today and is very close to average peak. Its the only snotel in the state thats above average. At least escalante will run this year.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013   #2

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
A few years ago I launched on the Escalante at the hiway when the gauge was reading 2cfs. More water would have been better, but it was do-able with lightly loaded pack-rafts.
fancyplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
LOL wrong Escalante ...wrong state...2 cfs wow I knew people ran Escalante low but yikes...that one is about scenery and solitude...Colorado Escalante =early season creekin ' ...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyplants View Post
A few years ago I launched on the Escalante at the hiway when the gauge was reading 2cfs. More water would have been better, but it was do-able with lightly loaded pack-rafts.
Yeah, my initial response was, no way it was 85% this morning. The Utah Escalante is at the top of my wish list this year...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #5

The only reason I clicked on this thread was because I thought we were talking about the Escalante River in Utah. What a let down. Screw it, let's hijack it.

How many beers are you bringing for a 7 day? Directly proportionate to amount of flow?
Old 02-26-2013   #6

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
The only reason I clicked on this thread was because I thought we were talking about the Escalante River in Utah. What a let down. Screw it, let's hijack it.

How many beers are you bringing for a 7 day? Directly proportionate to amount of flow?
Can you haul a drag bag behind a kayak?
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #7

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
I was surprised that anyone was talking about my Escalante on this forum! We don't hear much about Colorado creeks up my way...
Old 02-26-2013   #8

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
And we didn't bring beer- just lighter-weight whiskey.
Old 02-26-2013   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Which Escalante camp spot has the best beach for my portable shower and sink? Are the biodegradable shampoo+conditioner combo formulas as effective as using biodegradable shampoo and conditioners sold separately?
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #10

I took a paddlecat down the UT Escalante with 80 CFS at Escalante in 2011 for ten days. It was a great trip. There were strainers, mostly the first day, which would have been more of a hazard at higher flows. The Russian Olive removal project had created a blockage at one point. The second half of the trip had several bump and push drops. The most extensive shallows were in the silt beds left by the reservoir below Coyote Canyon. I never had to get out of the boat for long.

Peak snowmelt flow last year was 20 CFS and the Widstoe SNOTEL is currently like last years. Itís 70% of 2011.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote