Escalante River early or mid May - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-13-2008   #1

Escalante River early or mid May

Anyone out there interested in an Escalante run? I would love to do a ducky or kayak trip down the Escalante as long as it's flowing... I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been told that as long as the gauge is at 50 cfs in town, then it's runnable.

I am free from May 5th-16th. I may be working a trip for a Middle School here in durango, but it's by no means a certainty, and I need to plan pretty far ahead for work purposes.

let me know if you're interested!
E

ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008   #2
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I'd be interested. I have to instruct guide school the 5th thru the 10th of May, but maybe the following weekend? Do we have to do the whole 70 miles or is there a partial? I wouldn't be able to do a 7 day trip until the end of May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjohnson View Post
Anyone out there interested in an Escalante run? I would love to do a ducky or kayak trip down the Escalante as long as it's flowing... I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've been told that as long as the gauge is at 50 cfs in town, then it's runnable.

I am free from May 5th-16th. I may be working a trip for a Middle School here in durango, but it's by no means a certainty, and I need to plan pretty far ahead for work purposes.

let me know if you're interested!
E
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #3

Very possibly. I have to be in Flagstaff on the 17th to rig for a Grand trip. I have that whole time off, so whatever will work. I think it's at least a 5 day trip, plus shuttling hole-in-the-rock road... the washboard road from hell. logistics are a bit of a bitch, but it's worth it I hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
I'd be interested. I have to instruct guide school the 5th thru the 10th of May, but maybe the following weekend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008   #4

I just sent an email to a friend. He ran it a little while ago, and they hiked out Coyote Gulch. I need to look at a map. We could hike out earlier. Or we could run the section from town to the Highway 12 bridge. It's shorter, but I think what Calf Creek contributes in flow makes the lower section easier to run. I'll look into it and let you know.
E
Old 02-13-2008   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Crack in the Wall

Quote:
He ran it a little while ago, and they hiked out Coyote Gulch.
I have never boated the escalante but have spent a lot of time backpacking in that area. Hiking up Coyote Gulch with boats would take forever. The standard route out is up an 800' sand dune, over Crack in the Wall (3rd class), and then a couple miles crosscountry to Forty Mile Ridge road. You would want to go super light and consider bringing a short rope to haul gear/boats up Crack in the Wall.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #6

Oh yeah, Coyote is a loooong slog with boats. I've spent a lot of time hiking there also. That's a good idea about crack in the wall. We'll see. I want to know if the section from town to the highway 12 bridge is boatable. I should really just find someone to meet us at the mouth of the Escalante with a house boat... however horrible I would feel for using Reservoir Powell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
I have never boated the escalante but have spent a lot of time backpacking in that area. Hiking up Coyote Gulch with boats would take forever. The standard route out is up an 800' sand dune, over Crack in the Wall (3rd class), and then a couple miles crosscountry to Forty Mile Ridge road. You would want to go super light and consider bringing a short rope to haul gear/boats up Crack in the Wall.
Old 02-13-2008   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
I'm down for that- why a houseboat though? why not just a speed boat and motor out? I know someone who would almost certainly meet us with a speed boat.
Quote:
Oh yeah, Coyote is a loooong slog with boats. I've spent a lot of time hiking there also. That's a good idea about crack in the wall. We'll see. I want to know if the section from town to the highway 12 bridge is boatable. I should really just find someone to meet us at the mouth of the Escalante with a house boat... however horrible I would feel for using Reservoir Powell.
Old 02-13-2008   #8

Any kind of boat would be sweet. I was just thinking houseboat with a bunch of cold beer, ice cream, frozen margarita's... and of course a a water slide off of the boat. Motoring off would be the quickest way for sure.

Quote:
I'm down for that- why a houseboat though? why not just a speed boat and motor out? I know someone who would almost certainly meet us with a speed boat.
Old 02-13-2008   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
We can put lots of cold beer, ice cream, and margarita's on my mom's speed boat. As for a water slide, I'll hold the raft upside down over the side and give you a push. More like slip and slide.
Quote:
Any kind of boat would be sweet. I was just thinking houseboat with a bunch of cold beer, ice cream, frozen margarita's... and of course a a water slide off of the boat. Motoring off would be the quickest way for sure.
Old 02-13-2008   #10

hahahaha... perfect. That's also a great hot day on the San Juan (or anywhere) activity... slip n' slide off the beach into the water.

I'm game for a speed boat. Soooo much easier than hiking out of the river with boats and all other gear.

Quote:
We can put lots of cold beer, ice cream, and margarita's on my mom's speed boat. As for a water slide, I'll hold the raft upside down over the side and give you a push. More like slip and slide.