Escalante Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2008   #1

Escalante Creek

Hey just curious if anyone was or has check Escalante recently? I know it's more likely to run in April so no need to tell me I'm early. I know I am. I'm just hoping to hit it at a higher flow this year, than last tear. Just preparing. So if anyone has any current info, please let me know. Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #2

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
post back late march and we will tell you what is happening w/ the snopack.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #3

Alright, thanks. But I promise you, if I start seeing temps going up, I'll re post. I have know idea how fast the snowpack melts, but i get the general idea it goes fast.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008   #4

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
My prediction; its going to go big.

Three years ago when it went huge the first weekend we got on it was Easter weekend. When it goes you and the rest of CO will know don't worry.
Old 03-01-2008   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Peak cfs around June 1st.

I was wading through the stream flow data for the Escalante, and the years that were runnable, like 2005, the peak flow was late May or early June, not April. My understanding is that in low snow years, the peak flow is generally earlier. But in years like 2007, there just is not enough water for anybody to run it. I used 50 cfs at the gauge as my limit for runability, which is what I have been told.

In 2005, the flow hit 50 cfs May 16, peaked June 3rd at 307 cfs, and stayed above 50 cfs until July 4th. That is a pretty long season, about 6 weeks. There was only one day in April above 50 cfs, the 24th, so the season did not include April at all.

In 2007, the peak flow was 13 cfs, April 29th. No season at all.

In 2001, the peak flow was 117 cfs May 19th, with cfs staying above 50 cfs from May 12 to June 1st, so about a two week season. The highest cfs in April was 12 cfs, so no opportunity to run it in April 2001.

1993 had kind of a double peak, one at 80 cfs April 8 and 9, with cfs staying above 50 cfs from April 1st to April 23, so a three week early season. The second season peaked at 159 cfs May 16th, with cfs staying above 50 cfs from May 15 to June 11th, so the second season was almost four weeks long.

My point is that peak cfs, on good years, is generally going to be mid-May or later, and that running it in April is a bit of a fluke.

Has anybody run it as early as April? If so, what year? How was the run?

Let me know if you think I am off base on my analysis of the Escalante season. I have yet to run it, but hope to do so this year. Unfortunately, the snowpack is 92% of normal, at least according to one site, so it is hardly a sure thing.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin S. View Post
Hey just curious if anyone was or has check Escalante recently? I know it's more likely to run in April so no need to tell me I'm early. I know I am. I'm just hoping to hit it at a higher flow this year, than last tear. Just preparing. So if anyone has any current info, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Richard,
you might be thinking of escalante river? escalante creek has no guage for it and does run in april. Should be good this year can't wait to get out there again.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i was down in those parts yesterday, theres still a lot of cold and snow up high but it was 65 degrees yesterday in delta and that sun is waaaaarm too....early april, should go like clockwork!
Old 03-02-2008   #8

I was up their Saturday their is no doubt it will run lots of snow up by the put in still some ice on the creek as will but not running yet. It needs to get warmer but we don't want that yet.
luke c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Creek vs. River

You are right, I am thinking of the river, sorry for the confusion.

Where is the escalante creek? I have not heard of it before.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Richard,
you might be thinking of escalante river? escalante creek has no guage for it and does run in april. Should be good this year can't wait to get out there again.
-Tom
Old 03-02-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Escalante creek is a class V tributary of the Gunnison river near Delta. Very different than the river by the same name.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote