Epic Hole Ride - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-16-2010   #1

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Epic Hole Ride

Was watching some of Jim's videos and found this hole ride.
One of the longer and more exhausting ones I have seen.
Thought I would share.

3:17 to 4:36

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010   #2

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Wow...that was a long hole ride. I don't think I could have lasted half that long. Out of curiosity, if he would have swam, would the hole have kicked him out? Also I noticed on the video that some people swam as soon as they got flipped without even attempting a roll. Is this because they got sucked out of their boat?
Still learning!
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #3

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Not sure if the hole would have kicked him out. I don't think he was willing to find out without safety either.

The one guy in the yellow boat looks like he could have hit his face on the way down that drop. This might explain why he didn't even try a roll. Its hard to tell without hearing the full story.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010   #4

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Holy Shit @ 5:00
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #5

bc, CA
Spaghetti Monster,
I looked at your blog. My you paddle crazy stuff. I'm to whimpy for that. I am interested in where you got your grippy socks!
Old 10-16-2010   #6

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm sure they all have their excuses for why they swam that may or may not be legit.

As for the instant swim from the yellow boat, he didn't hit his face, but did break his paddle on that impact. We were walled out and he swam to avoid flushing around the corner (where it turns out there was some massive class II).

For the long ride, I'm pretty sure he would have flushed quickly had he swam; however that river (Upper Perth) is not swim friendly as it's fairly high volume, continuous, sieved out, and about 300 fpm. That said, we had half the group swim out of another hole at the same time and got away with only a lost water bottle. Sometimes you get lucky.

Jim
jimjanney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #7

bc, CA
Thanks Jim...I am always interested in learning. I tend to attempt rolls until I am completely out of breath. I've heard this is not good either, because if you have down time when you swim you might not have enough air.
Old 10-16-2010   #8

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda View Post
Thanks Jim...I am always interested in learning. I tend to attempt rolls until I am completely out of breath. I've heard this is not good either, because if you have down time when you swim you might not have enough air.
Well it depends on what you mean by out of breath...It's always safer in your boat so keep trying to roll. But you need enough breath to wet exit and get your head back up for air. Or if you mean out of breath as in fatigued you need to save enough for the swim so it will depend on the rapids. There are ALWAYS exceptions to every rule however!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #9

bc, CA
when I say 'out of breath' I don't mean tired, just plain ol' no air left. Fortunately I don't swim often. But sometimes it will take me about 5 tries to get up if the water is quite boily or turbulent. In my 3 years paddling I have swam once every year...so 3 times, but then again I have only paddled class 3+
Old 10-18-2010   #10

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Here is a little trick I use when out of breath. Swallow, even if you don't have any saliva, just swallow. It will take your mind off the panic and you can regroup. This has worked for me on several different occasions. I got held down in Hurricane swells off the east coast while surfing. Caught dead tired wind surfing miles out off the coast of South Korea and had to break down and paddle back in. Missed a few rolls in a rapid and decided to run the rest upside down ready to roll. When out off breath make a conscious effort to swallow. Not saying it will work for everyone, since we are all wired a little different but, it works for me. Just may get you those few extra seconds.
LineDawg is offline   Reply With Quote