Environmentalists destroy white water park development - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-07-2018   #1

Environmentalists destroy white water park development

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...2602aafaa.html Apparently someone doesn’t want a white water park being built because of some fish?

Gamer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer242 View Post
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...2602aafaa.html Apparently someone doesn’t want a white water park being built because of some fish?
Looks like it's not just the environmentalists:

Quote:
“It’s like putting a climbing wall or an elevator on the Grand Teton,” said Charlie Sands, longtime owner of Sands Whitewater. “I told the county, ‘If you’re going to allow that, I want a Ferris wheel up there.’”

Sands called the river park “ridiculous,” and he worried it would be a burden for scenic floaters and fishing boats to pass through. The county, he said, ought not to allow private businesses to “screw around” with a public good like the Snake.
The fish were there long before we were. There are already too many dams that impede fish passage and have wiped out the upstream fish populations all over the country. This park is being opposed by one of the whitewater industry folks in the area, maybe it's not really needed. It sounds like there's the added argument against the park that it could actually pose a hazard to an existing group of river users that aren't set up to run whitewater.

The nation's premier whitewater advocacy organization lists conservation in their mission. Mission

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Whitewater parks make good sense in areas where the natural river has already been polluted/altered/destroyed, and a wave feature can make some sense in the overall scheme of river rehabilitation and turning peoples' focus toward the river instead of away from what may have become a polluted cesspool.

If you already have a natural river..then that's awesome on its own.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2018   #4

I heard there was gonna be a white water park in Kansas like the one in Oklahoma, well some school teacher freaked out and got some people from out of state to protest it because she thought it would keep the fish away and that she needed the space educational purposes only so the white water park in Kansas won’t happen
Old 12-07-2018   #5

By the way why can’t they build rafting channels and river park features in water theme parks like Schlitterbahn it would be huge thing there since Schlitterbahn is river themed, I bet schlitterbahn building rafting a kayaking park in new braunfels would make Schlitterbahn known as the first water park to have kayaking and rafting instead of the park that decided to build a slide of death like verruckt
Old 12-07-2018   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
White water parks are a complicated set of positive and negative impacts. I'd encourage everybody to get involved in the process before making up your mind. For example, Pitkin County built a park on the Roaring Fork in Basalt. Not that great of a park, limited usage window and had some problems with keeper holes the first year. Lots of negative feelings. What most people don't know is that the primary purpose of the park was to secure recreational water rights so that we could keep more water in the RF during low flow periods - thus benefiting the fish and the recreational community. Without that water right the RF was being virtually dried up below Aspen in late summer. Sometimes impacts are counter intuative
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #7

Impeding fish passage is a valid concern, but it seems like that should be easy to mitigate.

The rest of the complaints seem to be from people that don't want to make the river less "natural" for a recreational activity they don't happen to participate in. I'm guessing those same people have no problems with all the roads that have been built to give people access to "nature", fish stocking programs, trail building, etc.

It's an even more ridiculous position to take since the proposed location appears to be right outside Jackson, with a bridge over the river right there. I'd have more sympathy if this was in an area that was relatively untouched (by today's standards) and scenic.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #8

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
levees

the snake is confined on one or both banks by artificial levees almost the whole way from moose down to hogback junction. same with the lowermost part of the grosventre. I'm not sure how old they are but recall seeing them for the first time in the late 90's, when mcmansions and golf courses were sprouting up on the floodplain

it is still pretty nice - definitely not trashed - but not entirely natural either
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #9

Jamestown, Colorado
This article is from summer 2017. Why post now? What's happened between now and then?

That said, I'm not sure how someone could read this article and conclude that "environmentalists" are responsible for the delay of this project. People quoted in the piece span a pretty wide spectrum, from do-gooder residents to business owners to Fish & Wildlife officials (who, in my experience, don't tend to characterize themselves as "environmentalists.").
Bleugrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018   #10

Manitou Springs, Colorado
[QUOTE=Bleugrass;714273]This article is from summer 2017. Why post now? What's happened between now and then?

Hence the reason I asked the poster's age in another one of the many threads.
shannon s is offline   Reply With Quote