Embudo gauge - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2008   #1
ACC
 
ACC's Avatar
 
dropzone, Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 846
Embudo gauge

I have looked back at threads from years past and the general consensus appears to be that the Embudo is runnable at 2.9' and above (if you are driving for it). It's reading about 2.8' this morning, so it looks like at 2.9' there would be about 130cfs.

Has the guage changed over the last year? That seems to be on the low side for the cfs, compared with the height gauge.

In any case, Atom or others in the land of enchantment, do you have any predictions on next weekend? Looks to be high sixties each day in Dixon, and high forties to low fifties higher up for the next week. Keeping my fingers crossed...

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-28-2008   #2
 
Warren's Avatar
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 122
Remember this is early season so the ditches down stream are not pulling yet. This means its all hitting the gauge=less water in the gorge compared to later season at same values.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #3
 
Student
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
I have looked back at threads from years past and the general consensus appears to be that the Embudo is runnable at 2.9' and above (if you are driving for it). It's reading about 2.8' this morning, so it looks like at 2.9' there would be about 130cfs.

Has the guage changed over the last year? That seems to be on the low side for the cfs, compared with the height gauge.

In any case, Atom or others in the land of enchantment, do you have any predictions on next weekend? Looks to be high sixties each day in Dixon, and high forties to low fifties higher up for the next week. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Warren hit the nail on the head about the flow correlating with the ditches. If it stays warm, you should be fine for next weekend. I'm venturing in tomorrow and will post if anything has changed since last year. Gonna be a good year. Atom...
__________________
action is the enemy of thought
http://newmexicoh2o.com/
http://coloradokayak.blogspot.com/
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2008   #4
ACC
 
ACC's Avatar
 
dropzone, Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 846
Thanks for the replies, that makes sense. Looking forward to hearing your first of the season report, Atom.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #5
 
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 112
I agree with ACC, I noticed that the other day - the gauge seems to have changed or atleast not reading properly. The gage height does not correlate to the gauge CFS like it used to.

From my notes from a prior run: 2.8 FT = 200 CFS.

The current reading is about 2.8 but the CFS is only 90. Something's different.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 08279000 EMBUDO CREEK AT DIXON, NM
Bryan Houle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #6
 
Student
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Houle View Post
I agree with ACC, I noticed that the other day - the gauge seems to have changed or atleast not reading properly. The gage height does not correlate to the gauge CFS like it used to.

From my notes from a prior run: 2.8 FT = 200 CFS.

The current reading is about 2.8 but the CFS is only 90. Something's different.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 08279000 EMBUDO CREEK AT DIXON, NM
The Gauge has not changed. The Embudo is running earlier than normal. No ditches pulling water yet. As per what Warren said "Remember this is early season so the ditches down stream are not pulling yet. This means its all hitting the gauge=less water in the gorge compared to later season at same values." If the gauge was saying 2.9 mid may, there would be way more water in the canyon above. Bottom line, if it is real early season, 2.9ft is gonna be manky as all heck. If the ditches are running, 2.9ft will be not so manky but still bony.
__________________
action is the enemy of thought
http://newmexicoh2o.com/
http://coloradokayak.blogspot.com/
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008   #7
 
Student
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
LOW

Got on today, late start. Dropped from the am flows. Probably around 2.7/5ft early season gauge (translation=lubricated rocks). Not worth driving for but it went. Gave a ride to a cool guy from D-town who had just run it with his buddies, nice to hear from them that there was no new wood or rock fall and that it was all clean. They broke 2 out of 3 boats but still had a blast.. Low Low flow...They had a bit more flow than us because they put on earlier. Should come up next week to a better level. Still tons of snow and ice on the banks. Couple photos for ya

Snow on the hike in


Narrow passage due to ice and snow


Adam Putnam on the Cheese


Same


Who is that Choad? Amped to boat to my new casa on the Embudo for the first time of many
__________________
action is the enemy of thought
http://newmexicoh2o.com/
http://coloradokayak.blogspot.com/
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #8
 
N. Wigston's Avatar
 
legend
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 557
all I can say is the upper box is much more worth the drive at the current flows.

oh, and who is that legend in the last picture. that guy must be like 50.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #9
 
Student
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Wigston View Post
all I can say is the upper box is much more worth the drive at the current flows.

oh, and who is that legend in the last picture. that guy must be like 50.
Yup,
Upper Box would be way better than the Budo at these flows. But then again, when you only have to drive 7 miles to the putin and then takeout at your casa, life is good, no matter the flows.
Nick, you should come down with the family soon. We need allot of help with the shuttles. Atom...
__________________
action is the enemy of thought
http://newmexicoh2o.com/
http://coloradokayak.blogspot.com/
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008   #10
 
N. Wigston's Avatar
 
legend
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 557
we are planning for memorial weekend. Do you think the upper box will still be running at high flow by then? I have been itching to run the upper when it's BIG.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S.F. Poudre gauge and beta.. zhensley Whitewater Kayaking 5 06-09-2006 03:07 PM
Bailey Gauge paulh Whitewater Kayaking 1 04-22-2006 08:21 AM
What's up with the Vallecito gauge? GDalton Whitewater Kayaking 2 06-19-2005 10:24 PM
Wellsville gauge on the Ark? gh Whitewater Kayaking 0 05-12-2005 01:33 PM
What is the gauge for grape? floaty22 Whitewater Kayaking 2 05-07-2005 08:37 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.