Embudo? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2004   #1

Filmmaker, Colorado
Embudo?

There was a lot of chatter about the Embudo last week. Anybody who ran it have anything to say about it? Still low?

Wondering if it'll be worth a 5 hour journey this weekend.

thanks

brandf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004   #2

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Embudo getting there

We ran it this weekend 2.9-3.0 feet which is just getting to be good 3.2-3.5 is probably ideal. Lots of heat this week could set it off, be sure to check the levels over 3.8 it becomes pretty serious( its always fairly serious) If you haven't been there in a few years keep in mind that cheese grator has changed. As always be super low profil in Dixon, don't speed, when you get off the river keep quiet till you hike back to your car. Remember there is still tension between some locals and the paddlers do your part to keep it to a minimun. If you see a guy yelling the river is to low and you should trun around and go home politly wave and keep going. Be safe.

P.T.
p.s. I paddled the small diesel, it was sweet.
ptwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004   #3

Student
hey PT, good seeing you out there last weekend, been awhile. The guage was actually around 2.7-2.8 and dropped even more on sunday(2.6). hot as heck down here now, gonna be huge this weekend i do believe. call me if your headed down again, adios, atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2004   #4

Re: Embudo getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwood
As always be super low profil in Dixon, don't speed, when you get off the river keep quiet till you hike back to your car. Remember there is still tension between some locals and the paddlers do your part to keep it to a minimun. If you see a guy yelling the river is to low and you should trun around and go home politly wave and keep going. Be safe.

P.T.
p.s. I paddled the small diesel, it was sweet.
So did something happen with the locals/boaters a while back? All the locals I've talked to have always been really friendly and nice to us. Just curioius.
GrooveNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #5

Distiller and Salida's Mayor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
yeah, the majority of folks are cool in Dixon. Things started to get a bit tense in 1996? maybe when the first CCR came out and the crowds began flocking to run the Embudo. Atom, Ed, Joel, Marcia,Lillian and the rest of the NM crew worked pretty hard at chilling things out and the last few years it's been pretty mellow, but some crowds and a few unruley paddlers and....

My history maybe a bit scketchy maybe Atom can correct it or fill in a bit more info.
ptwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #6

We always try to be nice and respectful to the locals and keep the beer drinking off until we get back up to the put in. So are they developing that land up there, I noticed a sign that says "lot 29" or something at the put in now and they have been clearling a lot of brush.
GrooveNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #7

Student
the clearing of trees is just for fire danger(thinning them out), tons of barkbeetle trees and fire danger is high. Dixon is a really old hispanic community and it took awhile for them to get used to boaters, hopefully the days of gunfire and rock throwing are gone, just drive slow through town and aviod confrontation. It helps that I'm from there and have had alot of talks with the locals, they have been chill for awhile now. gonna be BIG this weekend, adios, atom...
PS, try not to take out at the bridge in town(the new guidebook says to do this) but you end up going through alot of backyards. better takeout is as soon as you see a adobe house on river left, it has a big round adobe tower attached to it, there is a little arroyo on the left right before the house. walk up this(quietly) and it leads to a nice meadow. park your car there, old CRC has those take out directions.
or email me for exact takeout location, adios, atom..
atom is offline   Reply With Quote