ELFing the Numbers - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-07-2010   #1

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
ELFing the Numbers

I wrote this for South Main's blog. Dustin took some great shots but you'll have to click on the link at the bottom to see them.

Fall Color “ELF” Boating on the Numbers

Words by Phil Urban. Images by Dustin Urban

ELFing, Extremely Low Flow paddling, is a term coined by Jim Snyder, one of kayaking’s founding fathers. ELFing extends our boating season, and here on the Arkansas it is possible to boat year round. I managed to get out at least once every month last year. There’s a dedicated group of us that get out regularly, and usually a first timer is very happily surprised by how much fun can be had at 150 CFS (cubic feet per second) on a run that saw over 4,000 CFS this past June.

Good class 3ish creeking can be had from Pine Creek all the way to Buena Vista at 200 cfs and up, but when the rio drops below 200 on the Granite gauge, we usually run the most channelized section, hence the most fluid, using the put-in on river-left at Number 4 and taking out at the “miner’s campground” below Number 7. The river is not ‘pushy’ at these flows, but the run is a series of slots and boofs and often complex moves as you follow the channel…

Boating is a spiritual pursuit for many of us, and ELFing gives us a unique opportunity to experience a new aspect of the rio. At ELF flows we are paddling in the guts of the river’s channel. Large rocks that are covered at high or even medium flows now loom overhead. Most of the rocks on the Ark are rounded by the tumbling caused by glaciers and high water, but there are some large rocks that haven’t moved perhaps since being deposited by the last glaciers 10,000 years ago. Many of these are rounded on the upstream side but have fantastic shapes on the downstream side caused by flowing water. We get to see fluid shapes and dynamics expressed in granite. Each of these flow rocks is unique and many of the shapes take on magical and mystical properties for those of us who see life through that particular lens of inspiration.

Here are some pics that Dustin took on a recent beautiful fall outing at about 200 cfs. We’ve named one of the larger flow rocks the Goose. It has a lowered head and spreading wings. Just to the left of the crux of Number 5 is a beautiful double bowl. Another, I call the Chalice.

ELFing with good friends in such a beautiful valley is truly a day well spent.

Phil Urban is Dustin’s Dad/ Heron and Lila’s Granddad. He is currently managing construction of the Hoffmans’ Home for South Main Building Company.

Fall Color “ELF” Boating on the Numbers » Kayak » Nature » Outdoors » Photo Gallery » Play » Live from South Main

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey I know those guys! Nice Phil. How about some more this weekend? My back is feeling a little better, and my bike is out of commision and at the Trailhead for repairs due to a broken hanger...time to "Elf the Ark"!
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #3

Student
Beautiful

Beautiful Photos Phil. The one of the goose rock is amazing. Glad you are getting out and enjoying the h2o and amazing Fall colors. I bet the fly-fishing is top notch also. beers, Atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Great write-up and photos; thanks!
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #5

buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Iam in for some pineck to#5 "elf" boating anyday after work or on weekends!! a friend and I will be ELF boating Browns Canyon tomarrow (Saturday) later morn, early afternoon sometime
if anyone interested.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #6

salida, co, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
im down for some elfin from pineck to #5 on sunday if yall are up for it. hit me up (479)530-6475 leave a messeage i dont get reception were i live. on on here ill be checkin. later, josh.
riverchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob View Post
Iam in for some pineck to#5 "elf" boating anyday after work or on weekends!! a friend and I will be ELF boating Browns Canyon tomarrow (Saturday) later morn, early afternoon sometime
if anyone interested.
Sounds sadisticly fun...what time you thinkin Bob?
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #8

buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
well, turns out a change of plans,, anyone elf boating numbers 2day?? If so feel free 2 hit me up ..(Seven one nine) 207 2643...riverchild iam down 4 tomorrow piney#s
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #9

salida, co, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
sweet, i'll be in bv by noon. Where do you want to meet up?
riverchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #10

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Awesome! Thw secret was bound to get out. Mick and I had a great time on the numbers and brownies at 200 plus barely. Very creek-like, steep. We did run from 1 on down and had very little problem w scraping. Browns is also very creeky and there are no rafts. Today we were down on the Platte at Confluence. Flow was only 100 but there was plenty of depth for squirting, cartwheels and stalls inn the eddys and main current. Who says the water is too low? Oh, I love the term ELFing... it is n entirely different thing.
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote