ELFfest 9/19/2015 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2015   #1

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
ELFfest 9/19/2015

Happy to say I'm leaving for my first Grand trip in a couple days, so I want to get the date for this year's ELFfest out to the community before I leave. It will be the weekend of September 19th. Lots of info to come but a little bit now. Saturday the 19th we'll be paddling the Ark with a a party at the Beach in South Main afterwards. We'll have a bar this year and music again. We're looking to have a one day refresher SWR course offered by RMOC and SUP racing as well. As stated, RMOC is stepping up as well as CKS and South Main. We may have too much water to qualify as ELFing this year but I think we all can manage that. It will still be warm, the leaves will be peaking and the rio is wonderful no matter the level. Hope to see a lot of the community there again this year.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015   #2

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Yea Phil way to organize, looking forward to paddling with everyone again! Cheers from the RFV!
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #3

With the flows dropping like a rock, seems like ELF fest starts now. Question, what are the low flow put-in suggestions for #s. I usually put-in at stealth and run to either below 5 (is this called "grassy knoll"?) or Miners. Is there any put-in that avoids the shallows between the regular put-in and 1? There is no public access or parking at the bridge right? I'd like to make some laps and maximize the channeled water.
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie D. View Post
With the flows dropping like a rock, seems like ELF fest starts now. Question, what are the low flow put-in suggestions for #s. I usually put-in at stealth and run to either below 5 (is this called "grassy knoll"?) or Miners. Is there any put-in that avoids the shallows between the regular put-in and 1? There is no public access or parking at the bridge right? I'd like to make some laps and maximize the channeled water.
They certainly did shut flows down more than I expected, considering they still have water to be moved...but regardless, specifics.

Grassy Knoll is between Harvard Estates bridge and Frog/Elephant Rock on the Fractions. It is accessed from the highway.

You can park between the state park entrance sign and the gate with the no parking sign and walk over the hill to put in right above #1. We have parked at the gate before. It is AHRA property now (to be turned into a campground and access), but for the time being it's still posted no parking/no trespassing.

You shouldn't park at Scott's bridge, the people that live on the other side get bent out of shape.

Best sections for channelized low flow boating are Pine Creek, #1 to #5.5 and #6 to Grassy Knoll.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I look forward to it!
Old 08-20-2015   #6

Thanks for that info Logan. I knew about the over the hill sneak but didn't know that it was now AHRA. Hopefully I can convince my buddy that a #1-5.5 mission will be a good time at 300. I've never run it that low but I know many people do.
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #7

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Anyone on Narrows or Brown's during ELF fest? Hope to be skilled for Numbers someday, just not there today. If not probly run closer to Canon that weekend since last weekend of Whitewater B&G.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerflatlander View Post
Anyone on Narrows or Brown's during ELF fest? Hope to be skilled for Numbers someday, just not there today. If not probly run closer to Canon that weekend since last weekend of Whitewater B&G.
Most likely. I would guess at least 2 different groups will form, maybe 3. A Pine Creek crew, a Numbers group and a Fractions group...but it will depend on turnout.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #9

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks myers. Trying to progress and run some new sections. You mentioned on a post sometime back about running swallows just above pueblo res. Thinking about hitting that labor day or following weekend. Know this is a pretty mellow section, but rarely run. Thought i'd throw that out there.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015   #10

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Fat ELF flows right now. Hope to see folks on the 19th.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote