Elevenmile Canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Elevenmile Canyon?

Has anyone paddled Elevenmile recently? I remember paddling it below 200 when I was a beginner paddler (not the V drops), but now that I am better, I am interested in the whole run. Anyone have any additional beta.

Flows are around 290, and hopefully will hold until Wednesday.

Anyone in for a wednesday run?
2 coming down from Boulder.

Browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008   #2

Gunbarrel, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'm interested!

[email protected]

ran it on the 27th was good! (not the book ends)
Thumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Humphrey,
Whats the middle water like 3-4? or 3?

Where are you located?

Sounds like a good plan though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008   #4

Boater, Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to regf2603
Really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntown View Post
Humphrey,
Whats the middle water like 3-4? or 3?

Where are you located?

Sounds like a good plan though.
I ran it with Tanner (Humphrey) and friends on Sunday (04/27). Good level. Between the Vs it's mostly III i'd say one or two IV rapids/moves. I guess the most challenging stuff are occasional rocks...but nothing hard. Flow on Sunday was 316CFS.

Was our first time running it and it is a really nice run. Portions of it reminded me of the boulder garden in Foxton, just longer (= more fun).

Tanner, you lucky bastard, you going to do it again? Wish I could join you on Wednesday. See ya on Friday though.

- Fred
regf2603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #5
suigeneris

loveland, Colorado
11 mile

I'd like to hook up on wed-coming from BV. What time for put in? Call at 801-641-2744 please.
Rich
suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
If you're headed down, check the flow into 11-mile reservoir. From what I can tell, they are just passing through 11-mile res since it is full. I think the Lake George gage reading is greater than what is actually in the canyon, as there are several tribs just above Lake George, all with flow.

Running it last Sunday, my impression was that more water was needed to justify the drive. For the 303 III-IV crowd, Waterton would make more sense and if you're looking to drive, go to the Ark instead of 11-mile. Whatever, my 2 cents.

Class III boaters will have no problem with what's between the bookends, but I'd be cautious brining a beginner down due to the number of (easily avoided) undercuts and sieves.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browntown View Post
Has anyone paddled Elevenmile recently? I remember paddling it below 200 when I was a beginner paddler (not the V drops), but now that I am better, I am interested in the whole run. Anyone have any additional beta.

Flows are around 290, and hopefully will hold until Wednesday.

Anyone in for a wednesday run?
2 coming down from Boulder.

11 mile is back on the rise (381 now). Personally, I think the drive is justifiable from the denver area, considering it's only an hour longer drive than to waterton, you have a longer run, and don't have to carry your boat. Also, this doesn't run very often...Ark will have water all summer, hard to say if this will or not (Dan probably knows better than I do).

There is one portage around a tree in easy flatwater, very visible from the road. Big eddy on left makes it easy. Both V's were clean, but there was quite a bit of wood around, so it's possible new wood will come in from above as the flow increases, etc. Just make sure to watch for logs on the drive up. I don't think 11 mile has seen this much water since the hayman fire.

If you've never run the top V and plan on it, just beware that the lower half of the top V is much more dangerous than the top. Two massive boulders are undercut on left (see the ski jump move...boulder to the left is undercut, and another one further down), and there are several sieves on the right, including the entrance slot. The undercuts might not be visible at this level, so just wanted you to know they are there. There was also one log blocking a channel towards the end.

Have fun.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #8

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
anyone want to run it coming from BV Friday thur Sun. I'm not sure what day, just need a carpool to afford gas. Planning on running the V on top as well.

Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Planning on meeting at 10:30 at the take-out rapid (Bottom V) Wednesday morning for whoever is interested.

Max
Old 04-30-2008   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Definitely a good run at these levels(III-V.) Remember there is a toll booth to get into the canyon. Not sure if they are collecting yet and don't know how much it is - use to be a few bucks. Last time I ran this stretch, they were draining Antero reservoir.

I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote