Elbow surgery - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2011   #1

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Elbow surgery

My elbow has been giving me problems for the past few years. Usually while playing volleyball but often during rowing or extension. Finally during vacation I think I overdid it and went to see a sports medicine dr after swelling, numbness and pain persisted

The xrays revealed a bean sized piece of loose "bonus" cartilage in the area where the funny bone goes that's gonna have to be removed as it interferes with the extension of the joint and is most likely the source of my pain -- but the doc said everything else looks pretty good for a 42 year old

in a week or so they will probably do arthroscopic surgery but have to do a Ct arthrogram first

Has anyone else had this surgery and how long until everything felt great again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011   #2

Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
I have no idea how long things will take to heal but keep us informed as I've got the same sort of issues with my elbows. Haven't bit the bullet and had it checked out yet though.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #3
Adventurer

Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Age...things start to break down....I have had both elbows worked on. I am currently recovering from heel surgery. One down and one to go. Depends on your ability to recover and what they are doing. Sounds like it is bursa related. That was better for me than the tendon work I had down on the other elbow. It's been a while but I think the recovery was about 2 months. If they are doing arthroscopic that is probably a quicker recovery.

Let me amuse you with the Epicondyle tendonitis surgery story. First, they give you a local and cut you open. They have to keep you awake so you can tell them where it hurts when they probe the tendon to mark the area they intend on removing, they mark it with a regular ink pen. It's pretty easy to see because the damaged area is gray versus a healthy white color. After they determine what they are removing they give you a general anesthesia that has a amnesia effect to it so you don't recall the local and probing, cool. They remove the damaged part, sew up the tendon, then because tendons don't have blood vessels going directly to them, they drill holes through the tendon so blood can seep in and help it heal. It's a good time! After some time in a sling and some PT, you will be good to go! Enjoy!
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011   #4
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
First, they give you a local and cut you open. They have to keep you awake so you can tell them where it hurts when they probe the tendon to mark the area they intend on removing, they mark it with a regular ink pen. It's pretty easy to see because the damaged area is gray versus a healthy white color. After they determine what they are removing they give you a general anesthesia that has a amnesia effect to it so you don't recall the local and probing, cool. [/QUOTE]

And they say space aliens don't exist!
Old 06-08-2011   #5

portland, Oregon
Fat man in a little suit is going in for arthroscopic surgery --- got about 7 "loose bodies" that need to find a new home. No room for the elbuddies in my arm
Old 08-06-2011   #6

portland, Oregon
Had arthroscopic surgery mid june to remove five loose bodies. The largest was 2cm They completely put me out -- woke in a lot of pain with arm immobilized in a cast. After figured out medication dosage felt much better. After 4 days outer cast came off. After two weeks regained about 90% range of motion. After about a month the pain from the stuff they cut into was gone. Now range is about 100%

Went rowing on a three day trip back at 100% strength with no need for pain reliever and no pins and needles feeling. Can play vollyball now with no problems and the dull ache from arm up to back is now gone

Tags
lyons creek clinic