Ecuador... Dish it, give me the goods! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-26-2007   #1

Ecuador... Dish it, give me the goods!

Heading south this winter to break up the monotony of rippin' in thigh high powder, and I want some beta. The guide book seems to be chalk full of class IV water but not a lot of good class V coverage. I was wondering if any of you have been down there exploring.

I'm going for a honeymoon/kayking trip, so beta on the lifestyle activities would be appricieated as well.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsawater View Post
to break up the monotony of rippin' in thigh high powder
uhm, i hope you have a good time in ecuador, but no red blooded man in colorado should ever utter those words
Old 09-26-2007   #3

good class V in ecuador

dear lotsawater,

there are plenty of great class V runs in ecuador if you are willing to suffer a little. ecuador has a huge variety of steep creeks and big water runs that i'm sure you will enjoy.

if you don't mind getting off the beaten path a little bit, you'll be pleasantly rewarded with all the class V you want.

shoot me an e-mail if you want details.

[email protected]
darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007   #4
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyg View Post
dear lotsawater,

there are plenty of great class V runs in ecuador if you are willing to suffer a little. ecuador has a huge variety of steep creeks and big water runs that i'm sure you will enjoy.
Don't know why you need to suffer to run class V in Ecuador? In my experience (not much) that was a super easy country to access the goods. If you are organized you can run class V the same day you land and soak at a hot springs resort right above the put-in that night. Then hit the Oyacachi, Jondachi, Topo and maybe some Class IV too.

Contact Gynner Coronel for guiding if you want: Ríos Ecuador, Rafting Ecuador, Kayaking Ecuador, South America

Recent article by Gynner: Conquistadors: The Stories: Gynner Coronel (Location Manager, rafting on Coca and Napo rivers) - Maya Vision International
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Ecuador paddling

I went to Ecuador in 2002 and paddled with Don, Darcy, and Larry from Small World Adventures. They know the rivers down there very well. The Jondachi is incredible, one of my favorite rivers of all time. Check out the Lower Misuahalli as well so you can get off the river and enjoy a cerveza while watching the monkeys.

Otavallo is a neat town to the north of Quito (away from the kayaking) and has a great market. The people there are absolutely beautiful and colorful. Banos is to the south of Quito and is a great start for doing a long ride down the Andes. Rent a bike for $5, go as far as you want, then catch a bus back to town for $1.

Piece of advice. Bring lots of smaller bills. When I went even banks had trouble breaking $20s for me so ones, fives and tens will be very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsawater View Post
Heading south this winter to break up the monotony of rippin' in thigh high powder, and I want some beta. The guide book seems to be chalk full of class IV water but not a lot of good class V coverage. I was wondering if any of you have been down there exploring.

I'm going for a honeymoon/kayking trip, so beta on the lifestyle activities would be appricieated as well.

Thanks
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #6

What about the Yellow Fever shot? I read something that a certificate is required to enter the country, is that true?
Old 09-27-2007   #7

pnw, Washington
this might help you. Health Information for Ecuador (Including the Galápagos Islands) | CDC Travelers' Health
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #8

Golden, Colorado
If your a member of Kaiser, their Travel Clinic will hook you up with all the immunizations you need. They did give me a certificate of some kind but I never needed to present it.

Contact Darcyg at Small World Adventures and have them send you The Kayakers Guide to Ecuador. It has all the goods in it including health, safety and logistics info.

Runs not to be missed are the Upper and Lower Jondachi, El Chaco and Bombon runs on the Quijos, and Lodo run of the Misahualli. Oyacachi is good but kind of like Bailey. Granted these are all IV to V- runs which we did in playboats but fun is fun regardless of the rating.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #9

Hey there "twiddlin your fiddle"

paddled with Don and Darcy this past wknd on the Gauley and they said to wait til Feb for the hard V's. I am planning on getting a posse together to head down. Keep me posted if I can go on the hornymoon too!
Pagel
pagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #10

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Since you asked about lifestyle stuff and mentioned honeymoon and someone mentioned Otavalo... One of the coolest things I did in Ecuador (in addition to a great week of paddling with Dereimers (adventurekayaking.com) was a mountain bike tour with these guys. (http://www.probici.com/1day_guamote.php?dato=guamote) You start in the indigenious market in Guamote (which means lots of local folks, no gringos and lots of guinea pigs, fowl, livestock, potatoes, etc. then mountain bike tour for about 25 miles. Not technical riding, but really gorgeous. The guy who owns it is local, speaks Quechuae (sp?) language, Spanish and perfect english courtesy of the nice Jesuits who educated him at Bellarmine and Tulane. Can't say enough about it.
I took the bus from Quito to Riobamba, for like $4-$8, then did the ride and then took another bus to whitewater mecca Banos, (about 2-3 hours.)
KJ
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote