eco-safe boom box for kayaks - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-14-2011   #1

conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
eco-safe boom box for kayaks

has anyone used one of these in a sea kayak? it looks pretty big for fitting down the rear hatch on my prijon seayak.

i've used the pvc pipe system......not fond of it. looking for something a little better for a tour this fall.

krakeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011   #2

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
hey krakeld iv'e got one and usually bungy it to the stern deck of the seayak- didn;t want it inside if you know what i mean. after a few days it can get pretty ripe, making one paddle harder and faster to get some airflow going. it does fit inside, but why would you want to put it in there?

where are you going?
Old 09-14-2011   #3

SW, Colorado
I don't know if it's the same as yours, but years ago I won a prize at a paddling club event: a humongous black boombox. Too big to fit in the hatch compartment, yup. Must've been designed for use on rafts or something with more cargo space than any kayak...except maybe a big double.

We used it on only one trip, when my husband strapped it on TOP of his rear deck. It has a vent spout, so beware that these things will STINK even in open air. If you decide you want to buy this type of boombox, I'd be happy to sell ours (it's been sanitized) for, oh, $10. I'm about 10 miles from Conifer via High Grade Rd.

Though later we made PVC tubes, what I actually use is Wag Bags. No reason you could not use Wag Bags with the PVC tube, to really cut down on stink. Better yet, buy the bulk Poo Powder and make your own baggie kits, since that would be cheaper, plus the Wag Bag bag is quite large. Someone I know says he can put 5 days' worth of poop in it.

I experimented at home with 2 days' worth. Let me tell ya that opening the bag on Day 2 is NOT something I care to repeat, so after I use up my stash of Wag Bags I will be ordering Poo Powder and making a homemade version with smaller bags!
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011   #4

Gardnerville, Nevada
uhoh,
soounds like a eco safe 40 use? the "boom box" is smaller maybe 20 use.
Old 09-14-2011   #5

conifer, Colorado
boom box

hey thanks. i just don't like having stuff strapped all over the kayak. sounds like it may be back to the pvc pipe and wagbags. i just HATE rollin' those things up and stuffing them into the pipe though.

not sure where but probably canyonlands.
Old 09-14-2011   #6

conifer, Colorado
yup

the twenty use boom box
Old 09-14-2011   #7

Gardnerville, Nevada
krakeld,
canyonlands will make you have a number of things (as you prob know) including firepan and groover. don't remember the specific groover req. but might not allow the wagbag. personally i'd rather have the dirty stuff strapped to the back than inside, but to each his/her own, eh?
have fun!
Old 09-14-2011   #8

conifer, Colorado
boombox

yeah, i'll have to check with them. the san juan was fine with pvc pipe toilet this spring. we used a large gold pan for a fire pan and it had all the right specs.....and it fit nicely in the rear hatch.
Old 09-14-2011   #9

Gardnerville, Nevada
looks like nps will allow wagbags, don;t remember that they always did tho. i used to use round an oil drip pan for the fire, and would nest the eco in it then put the whole thing on the back deck. worked good for firewood collection, beercan collector, etc during the day. used to do lots of trips GR to spanish bottom with the wife before she got sick of the bugs. great place, would love to do a fall trip again.
Old 09-14-2011   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
How many grooves would a wide-mouth one liter Nalgene hold? They're air tight, basically indestructible, light weight, cheap, compatible with deoderizing groover treatment chemicals, and easy to pack in small places. Wrap it in Gorilla Tape and label it well so it's not ever confused for a food or water container.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote