east fork of the south fork of the salmon - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2012   #1

missoula, montana
Paddling Since: 1990
east fork of the south fork of the salmon

Just curious about this river, wondering if anyone could share something about it as far as the best level, how long it takes, generally, and what types and sizes of crafts can float it, the shuttle (from missoula), when it drops off to an un-runnable stage and what stage is too high, and what its comparable to.
I've always wanted to float it and am going to try and get a permit for the main so I can do the whole thing next spring in a couple cats and some 13 foot rafts. American Whitewater didn't say a whole lot. Thanks!

sean_d_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
There are several put in and take out options. Generally, the rapids get tougher the further up you go, with Flight Simulator being the toughest and longest rapid near the beginning of the run. Confluence rapid is the only rapid above flight sim. It's very short and can get pretty tight. Just put in below anything you don't want to run, it's all great water.

I've run from about 450cfs to 1600cfs (Johnson Cr gauge). Not sure I'd go lower. And 1600 was pretty burly for me in my 12.5' Sotar Legend. I didn't run Flight Sim at that flow, but ran everything else. You can run top to bottom in a day, no problem, or do two upper runs, taking out at deadman (picnic area with outhouse).

I've mostly just seen small catarafts and kayaks. It's a technical run. I have seen one large cat and a couple rafts R2 it, but that's less common (but still awesome).

It's mostly class IV, with Flight Simulator at class V. There are a lot of rapids, but still some recovery room between most of them.

We usually run around 4th of July, but sometimes flows are too low by then. It's nice to go in there and run it for a day or two, then run the SF Salmon. If you do that, you don't need a lottery permit for the main if you just float out the last (boring) 20 miles in one day. I think you're supposed to get a special permit by calling the Krassel Ranger.

There are a bunch of EFSF shots here: WW Best of 09.m4v - YouTube from about 1:15 to 2:15. That was at 450cfs.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've been told they key on the main is to not use the banks, as in you can't camp there on your way out and you don't need a permit. Also folks say the permit from krassel is recommended so they can monitor use. From missoula is a pain as it's nearly 8 hours if lick cr is open. We've used locals to shuttle (i didn't organize) but there's a new guy posting on forums that started a shuttle co that says he does the sfs.
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012   #4

Any projections for EFSF or SF Salmon for first week of July?
There is NO water in Colorado, thinking of coming back up.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I think it looks promising. Memorial weather has continued, cold, rain, snow up high. Just two weeks to go
And it's
Still too high and going back up