east coast question - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-05-2006   #1

east coast question

sorry if this has posted multiple times- I'm having trouble getting it to post....

does anyone know how the upper yough compares to the upper gauley? i've done quite a bit if AW reading, but that doesn't directly compare the two... how would a solid class IV paddler who's done the upper yough once do on the gauley? any comprable CO rivers to give me a gauge? thanks!

danceronhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006   #2
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
the upper yough is definately more technical than the upper gauley. a lot steeper. a lot more continuous. it is lower volume though. a lot of places aren't very easy to read and run. if you boat it with someone who knows it well, you will most likely be ok. if you have boated the gauley and feel comfortable there, then you could probably do the yough. i don't think that the yough has as much undercut danger as some places on the gauley. it doesn't have much pools for recovery if you swim. especially around triple drop and national falls. there are a lot of eddies. you will probably find yourself catching lots of them. especially if the river is busy with raft trips.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #3

The next zone, .
I am sittin here in west va if you hit up the yough - hit up the uppper gauley. you will love it.

see you out there on friday!

WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006   #4

I ran the upper yough about a month ago, and it wasn't the cleanest run 'cause i couldn't steer the creek boat yet, but it was super fun...

everyone's been telling me that the gauley is a lot harder so i just want to make sure i don't get in over my head. i was wondering what it compares to in CO that i might have paddled, or just what to expect compared to the yough.

i'll be down to the yough next friday, so depending on how that goes, i guess i'm headed to the gauley.
Old 10-05-2006   #5
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
sorry, i didn't read your post correctly. i thought you said you had paddled the gauley. i think that you will be fine on the gauley if you can paddle the upper yough. it is bigger water, but more wide open. just go with someone who knows the river and can point out the undercuts, sieves and danger spots.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006   #6

sweet- thanks for the help!
Old 10-05-2006   #7

oh one other random one: which boat would you suggest? i'm super comfortable in my ZG, can maneuver, etc.... the nomad is a bit newer and sometimes i'm still figuring out how it handles... any ideas?
Old 10-06-2006   #8

Durango, Colorado
ZG

Take the ZG. There is some really great play on the Gauley - Upper and especially lower. I'd say that the Yough is harder to paddle technically, but the gauley has a much bigger feel. You're more likely to get stuffed and thrashed on the gauley especially in places like Pillow and Sweets, but the run out is good. Definitely hook up w/ some people that know the run. The entrances to the rapids are difficult to read and being in the wrong spot can prove fatal. Good luck!
dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006   #9

i'm headed down with a couple of guys that video boat it, so they should be able to tell me the lines, but anyone else that wants to head down, let me know- the more the better! i'm planning on running it next sunday (upper yough fri, lower G on sat.)
Old 10-06-2006   #10

Durango, Colorado
You'll be dialed w/ the vidiots. Those guys know all the tricks out there. Have a great time and be safe.
dugan is offline   Reply With Quote