East Coast Kayak Trip…anyone up for it? 9/26-10/5 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-14-2008   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
East Coast Kayak Trip…anyone up for it? 9/26-10/5

We are looking for one or two Kayakers to join us on an East Coast kayaking trip. We depart from Denver on the afternoon of September 26 (Friday) and will return on the 5th of October (Sunday).Over the course of the 10 days we plan to run the following rivers: Chattooga, Green, Gauley, New/Dries, Ocoee, Rock Island, USNWC, and open to suggestions. We will be car camping out of the back of a truck for the majority of the trip. We anticipate the total cost for the gas to be $900.00 (maybe even lower) When you split that cost up your share will more will be anywhere from $200-300 plus food and beer. Here are a few requirements we have for the trip:
1. At the very least comfortable on class 4 and able to paddle class 5.
2. Able to help with driving.
3. Drug Free.... atleast for the duration of the trip...
4. Laidback and flexible. (some may argue you cant have number 4 without number 3)

If you have any questions respond here.

Thanks Ben and Drew

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
the green hasn't been running on thursday or friday this year...just so you know.
rob729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008   #3

Denver, Colorado
oh and you might want to post up on boater talk if you need and/or want someone to show you down the narrows. which can be kind of difficult cause they are sometimes jerks about taking someone down.

have a good trip man and if you got any ?'s shoot me an e-mail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Rob,

Thanks for the heads up for the Green.

I have been down it before... but it has been a while.

We are not sure when we will actually do it. We are waiting to see what else the hurricane season blows up the coast and then plan accordingly.

See you in Charlotte?

Ben
Old 09-15-2008   #5

Denver, Colorado
green

yea i am finishing up my senior year of college here in charlotte...speaking of the green since you have been down before there is a new line at boof or consequence..you have to run the sneak line now, no one is running the main line cause a nasty sieve/undercut combo is a lot more serious, i think some beta about it is/was posted on the aw green river narrows page
Old 09-15-2008   #6

currently the beach, North Carolina
if your gonna be getting to the south east on the 26th you should check out the Guest Appreciation Frestival at the Nantahala in western NC. Its a small scale Gauley Fest with more gear trading and good people. Maybe even meet some people to show you some of the other rivers around here. I believe the Ocoee is running that weekend too, which is only an hour and a half away, which may make it packed that first weekend unless you want other people to boat with. Just figured I would give you a heads up.
seanypod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
bump
Old 09-19-2008   #8

be happy to so you and your group down the green if you don't have a guide yet. If you need any help let me know.

eric
805-689-6901
huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #9
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrodda View Post
Over the course of the 10 days we plan to run the following rivers: Chattooga, Green, Gauley, New/Dries, Ocoee, Rock Island, USNWC, and open to suggestions.
Guys, the Gauley is running at a reduced flow right now on Fridays, Sundays, and Mondays due to the drought (still fun but sub-optimal). The Chattooga is not remotely worth it as anything more than a scenic paddle at less than one foot (which it is now). The Green is running 5.5 inches, stupid brutal low, can't run Go Left or Gorilla and Sunshine is a sketch fest. The New is super low, the Dries aren't running, I don't know about Rock Island. Basically NC is in the midst of the worst drought in recorded history. Even if we got a tropical storm or two in the next week before you come, everything will still be low. We need about 6 months of steady rain to fix this water table.

If you're desperate, come on out. If not, I wouldn't waste the time and gas money while things are so lame around here.

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
Leland,

Man this is the worst news in a while.... Why do you have to kill the dream man... probably all your fault that there is no water out there anyway...

Ok now that I have whined a little... I actually just heard this from a buddy the other day that lives in western NC off and on. We figured we would watch the weather and see if anything is going to blow through. I would imagine that the watersheds will more than likely not behave as they have historically, as the run offs from a storm might be really short. Or adversely may just suck everything up.

man....

Tags
kayaking