Durango-Farmington via Animas - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2011   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Durango-Farmington via Animas

Has anyone floated the Animas from Durango to Farmington? Whats it like and how many miles?

spwitherspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011   #2

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have been as far as the campground at the state line. I have been told there a few diversions below that that are not runnable but don't really know.
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011   #3

Durango, Colorado
How would i find out information on this? It cuts through a lot of private property, who who controls this section of river? Im having trouble finding information. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2011   #4

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
The folks at 4-corners river sports might help you out. I haven't run it, but hear there is some nasty iron in the river above a hiway bridge. Good luck and post any new info!
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011   #5

Durango, Colorado
Thanks alot, I'll chat with them. How about from Farmington to sand island? Any knowledge on that section?
Old 09-25-2011   #6

Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
I'm assuming you are planning ahead for next spring? I wouldn't even take a tube down that stretch right now.
I know there is one low head dam right above Farmington (several deaths here over the years), and I think there might be one near Cedar Hill, but not sure. The water is mellow.
Old 09-26-2011   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm not sure about all of the diversions on the Animas, but this site may help some with what is out there: New Mexico Real-Time Water Measurement Information System

From Farmington to Shiprock there are two main unrunnable diversion dams at the PNM and APS intakes. The Hogback diversion is now runnable. From Shiprock to Sand Island, I believe it is clear. I know they do fish surveys in that section all the time.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #8

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
River Reach Foundation, Inc. |
River Reach Foundation - Maps

This might help
Old 09-26-2011   #9

Durango, Colorado
Thanks again, this information is super helpful. This is my first post and the community help on the buzz has been great. Still open for information on these stretches of river while researching on my own too.
Old 09-26-2011   #10

Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
4 Corners Bridge to Sand Island

Hey, Welcome to the Buzz...

I have not done any of this sections, but aim to one of these days. I have some friends who have done the area from 4 corners bridge down to Sand Island. I think the mileage is close to 50, and you would want at least 2-3 good long days, or realistically 4 to enjoy it.

You will be on Navajo Nation land the entire time, and camping is at a premium. There will be homesteands and houses close to the river, so be respectful. Be prepared for lots of livestock, so if you take dogs be mindful.

The water is totally flat, with a number of braided channels and islands and occasional strainers being the only real river hazards. I would recomend a flow of at least 1000-1500 for this section however, as any of the times I have gone over that bridge...it looks real low and draggy at anything under a grand.

It would really be a sweet trip! There is a real cool story out there of a Boy Scout Troop doing this stretch back in the 20's or 30's with the Nevilles I beleive, they did the trip to correspond with an event marking the monument, with Governers and all the hooplah...the kids all get an ice cold Pepsi trucked in for the event, and then back on the river! Awesome.

Good Luck...I would also appreciate info on the other stretches of this trip you mention.

Bucket
bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animas