Dumont on Clear Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-06-2007   #1

Dumont on Clear Creek

I wanted to get peoples opinion on Dumont on Clear Creek. I have just learned to guide a raft the beginning of this season (first week of May) and have gone every weekend since. I've done Class III and one class IV drop (Zume Flume on Browns Canyon) with no problem. I want to start tackling IV's and plan to hit Dumont this Sunday. Any feedback on the run? Am I getting in over my head on that run? I have read that it has an artificial bottom so I'm thinking that a lot of the serious hazards are not there, but still, its a class IV.

Any thoughts or feed back would be great!

Thanks.

chriswalter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswalter8 View Post
I wanted to get peoples opinion on Dumont on Clear Creek. I have just learned to guide a raft the beginning of this season (first week of May) and have gone every weekend since. I've done Class III and one class IV drop (Zume Flume on Browns Canyon) with no problem. I want to start tackling IV's and plan to hit Dumont this Sunday. Any feedback on the run? Am I getting in over my head on that run? I have read that it has an artificial bottom so I'm thinking that a lot of the serious hazards are not there, but still, its a class IV.

Any thoughts or feed back would be great!

Thanks.
It is getting less continuous, but is probably a big step up from Brown's still. A one boat trip might not be the best idea, but if you're with a group (and you don't bring a bucket boat) it'll probably be a good time (or at least a good story). But I have no idea what your ability level is. Most (all?) of the run is road scoutable and if you look at it and it looks a little much you can always do Chicago Creek to Kermit's and then you get old biker babes in crazy outfits at the takeout as a bonus.
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswalter8 View Post
I have read that it has an artificial bottom so I'm thinking that a lot of the serious hazards are not there, but still, its a class IV.
Actually, it's the other way around. The "artificial bottom" is created entirely by blasted rock, which is much much sharper than your natural, rounded, river rocks. Swims are far more brutal on clear creek because of this. I don't raft, but I've seen quite a few kayakers flip, and roll back up with some pretty mean gashes on their face.

If you're used to running the Arkansas, specifically Brown's, this will be entirely different. Steeper, narrower, longer rapids with less time to make your moves, and continuous (at the start).
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkayakNboard View Post
Actually, it's the other way around. The "artificial bottom" is created entirely by blasted rock, which is much much sharper than your natural, rounded, river rocks. Swims are far more brutal on clear creek because of this. I don't raft, but I've seen quite a few kayakers flip, and roll back up with some pretty mean gashes on their face.

If you're used to running the Arkansas, specifically Brown's, this will be entirely different. Steeper, narrower, longer rapids with less time to make your moves, and continuous (at the start).

Exactly. Artificial bottom does not mean it is friendly. Even though the water has come down quite a bit in the past week, Clear Creek is going to be a totally different experience than Brown's Canyon. It is for one, much tighter than what you are used to. I'm not sure that I would call Zoom Flume a class IV rapid compared to anything on Clear Creek. Outer Limits and Phoenix will test you for sure. Swims are very nasty in this river. Be safe.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #5
EZ

I agree that Chicago Creek to Kermit's would be a way better introduction to rafting Clear Creek than putting in higher. Clear Creek is a different ball game than Brown's Canyon, the major issue is containing carnage when it happens. Swimmers can easily get away from you, especially if you are a solo boat. The key to rafting Clear Creek is to keep it straight in the channel, square up to everything you see and don't hit the bank. Sounds silly, but the key is to not hit the shore.

After running from Chicago Creek successfully, then put in at the Water Treatment plant. The rapids here to watch out for are Phoenix and Outer Limits, both of which are a substantial step up from Zoom Flume, in both complexity and length. Both of these are easily scoutable.

Have fun, but don't think that Clear Creek is an easy run. The first time you pop a swimmer, you'll see what the problem is.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #6

Thanks

Ok, I'll pass on Dumont. Thanks a lot for the input! Any suggestions for a solid III or III+ in or between Vail and Denver? I"m doing Pumphouse on saturday but that one isn't much of a challenge for me. I would like to test myself a little more.

Thanks!!
chriswalter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #7
EZ

Try some other runs on the Ark: Parkdale is fun, and the Royal Gorge at ~1000 cfs is actually pretty friendly with plenty of folks around to help if things go wrong. Be wary of the Royal Gorge below ~700 cfs though.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #8

If you are looking for a challenge or a thrill, I'm not sure rafting is the way to go. Rafting is a fine outdoor activity, but I think it's more about casually enjoying nature, being comfortable, bringing along comforts (like beer), and having an occaisional thrill. With rafting, you focus on the location, not the water unless you have to.

I bet most of the seasoned rafters don't bother with Clear Creek.

If you want a thrill, take the effort to learn kayaking. Or if you want to get a quick feel for it, try an inflatable kayak.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
I hear Waterton is a kick in a raft, although it would suck to carry it out. High water Foxton in a small raft might be fun if you skip the boulder garden.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
If you are looking for a challenge or a thrill, I'm not sure rafting is the way to go. Rafting is a fine outdoor activity, but I think it's more about casually enjoying nature, being comfortable, bringing along comforts (like beer), and having an occaisional thrill. With rafting, you focus on the location, not the water unless you have to.

I bet most of the seasoned rafters don't bother with Clear Creek.

If you want a thrill, take the effort to learn kayaking. Or if you want to get a quick feel for it, try an inflatable kayak.

It would be hard to disagree with this more. Rafting is very challenging and is by no means casual. I am guessing that you are an adrenaline junky who is not happy unless chance of death exceeds 50%. Rafting provides plenty of excitement, just not the solo versus mother nature spirit of yakkin. I would compare yakkin to mountaineering and rafting to walking/bouldering up a mountain and gettin the goods. they both get you there.
bula is offline   Reply With Quote