Duckie in Browns - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2006   #1

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Duckie in Browns

My 17 yo son has run Pumphouse a couple of times in his Lynx II. His main experience is on a raft. Would Browns at current levels be a good next step? Thinking of this Sunday.

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006   #2

Da Fort, Colorado
I would think he should be fine if he's comfortable on the water in general. The only thing I would worry about is Zoom Flume, and that is easy to walk if you want.
Old 07-21-2006   #3
sj

Many people fitting that description have used my duckei on Browns following me. The only question would be will he freak if he ends up in the water mid way down Zoom or will he revel in the adventure of it. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
and to add to sj's post.....will they want to walk out if they freak, easy to do on many roadside runs, not so easy in browns.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #5

salida, Colorado
if he is comfortable in that water, I agree he should do fine...I believe you might be able to scout zoom and suck hole
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
zoom is an easy scout and if you take out at hecla you will avoid seidels
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Additional info!! We did a one day Swiftwater course earlier in the year, so he has done a bit of river swimming, although that was in the Pinnacle Rock area. He was with me for a Middle Fork trip in June and we've run the Royal Gorge, so he has experienced big water, but he was on the raft. I haven't been down Browns in a few years and that was on a comm. paddle raft. I've never had my oar rig through there. I will be in my 14 ft oar rig, so I guess we can always roll it up if needed. Maybe I'm just being over cautious.
Thanks for your thoughts
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #8

I think your being over cautious. I would worry more about yourself than an able bodied 17-year old (while swimming). Do the whole canyon, siedels was the funnest rapid. We just got off browns last weekend. And saw all types of youth in duckies in the river. At current levels, we all thought it was a class II+, Zume and Siedels, ranked III, and just dont go sideways into toilet bowl.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #9

salida, Colorado
If you want to kick it up a notch take out at stone bridge and run siedells, it's worth the extra time.
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #10

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
With raft support I'd say why not? He'll know after the 1st two rapids whether or not he's made a good choice and the odds of getting too banged up aren't high. If he was comfortable at a moderate flow on Pumphouse then its not an unreasonable step up.

At low flows in a Lynx II he'll probably do fine in Zoom. Sneaking that 14 footer past the Toilet Bowl in Widowmaker might cause him some concern. That will be harder than anything he did on the Pump. You might want to look at that section.

Have fun!
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browns