Dry/Waterproof Bags for Overnight Trips - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-11-2008   #1

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Dry/Waterproof Bags for Overnight Trips

I am a newbie in a kayak and was wondering what type of drybag everyone uses for overnight trips to keep sleeping bags and clothes dry (Size of bag, and Brand). Whether you are in a raft or a kayak. I was looking into the "Teva Exopod Dry Bag - 65 Liters" for trips with raft support since it is so large, but was wondering if it would fit in a kayak, and if not what to use for kayak trips without raft support. I'm obviously looking for something waterproof or something as close too waterproof as possible. Has anyone used the "Teva Exopod Dry Bag - 65 Liters"??? I appreciate the advise! This is my first overnight trip and want to get it right! Any other advise as what to pack and what not to pack would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, cheers!!

-Nick

islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008   #2

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
If yer gonna spend 150.00 on a dry bag get a watershed. they are 100% reliable, rubber ziplock style closure, or just get a friggin 60.00 nrs bills bag. I would trust a watershed in a "wrap" for hours to keep stuff dry, like an I-pod, or sleeping bag on a winter grand canyon trip. I had a mississippi watershed(huge) for 4 yrs and its great stuff
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #3

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Funny enough I was looking into dry bags today. I am going to Nepal next month and was looking into watershed ditch bag w/ the zipper. I really like that it has the backpack feature, but I'm concerned about the durability of the zipper. Does anyone have any experience with watersheds ditch bag?
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have been happy with my Watershed Futa as far as dry bag that will fit in back of the boat, had mine for a couple years and very happy. I like you can still inflate it for use a float bag in addition to carrying gear for safety purposes. I can get most of my soft goods/kitchen gear in it, and use the Watershed Ocoee for the rest. I agree they are heavier, but the performance has justified the extra weight for me so far.

It all depends on the length of trip as to how I pack. For a simple over night I just make sure I have food, warm clothes, and some sort of shelter. Of course the liquid libation and all your standard "safety meeting" materials are what really ensure you have a good time and there is always room to make sure those supplies are in the boat.....
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #5
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
I use watershed bags for my camera (nice digiSLR rig), video camera, and all of my overnighter gear. Andria and I probably have about 10 of them that we've accumulated over the years. On many overnighters (multiple Middle Forks, Grand Canyon, ect.) and through all of the daily use, we've only ever had one blow out. It was one that I had been using maybe 80-100 days per year for 3-4 years with my camera in it. It had the old stiffer zipper on it (the bag was about 6 years old but lightly used at first), which I think caused stress on the bag fabric right where the zipper attached, and it blew out when I pulled really hard opening it. The newer ones seem to be a big improvement in this area, using a bend and pull method that reduces the stress at that spot. I don't hesitate to stow my gear or camera in there, and the one I use now is holding up nicely after 2 solid years of use.

I remember when I switched to Watersheds from other bags, it took me a couple of years before I finally quit putting my sleeping bag inside a garbage bag before I put it in the drybag. The Watershed is all you need, and I've never had anything get so much as slightly damp. After using the Colorados for a long time, we recently added one of the backpack models, and I highly recommend it. It's easier to pack, easier to close, and easier to carry around.

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Watershed PERIOD! any size any shape. Best bags on the river.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #7

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
I use watershed bags for my camera (nice digiSLR rig), video camera, and all of my overnighter gear. Andria and I probably have about 10 of them that we've accumulated over the years. On many overnighters (multiple Middle Forks, Grand Canyon, ect.) and through all of the daily use, we've only ever had one blow out. It was one that I had been using maybe 80-100 days per year for 3-4 years with my camera in it. It had the old stiffer zipper on it (the bag was about 6 years old but lightly used at first), which I think caused stress on the bag fabric right where the zipper attached, and it blew out when I pulled really hard opening it. The newer ones seem to be a big improvement in this area, using a bend and pull method that reduces the stress at that spot. I don't hesitate to stow my gear or camera in there, and the one I use now is holding up nicely after 2 solid years of use.

I remember when I switched to Watersheds from other bags, it took me a couple of years before I finally quit putting my sleeping bag inside a garbage bag before I put it in the drybag. The Watershed is all you need, and I've never had anything get so much as slightly damp. After using the Colorados for a long time, we recently added one of the backpack models, and I highly recommend it. It's easier to pack, easier to close, and easier to carry around.

Leland

remember you gotta use 303 every now and then on the zippers, sunblock works also........thats why it broke or user error. I'm no smart ass just follow directions........................................ .......
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #8
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Anybody remember when watershed was Man Of Rubber. They were the best then too. I have a really old, big man of rubber that blew out on the side panel. Watershed would not fix or warranty it but they did give me a real good deal on a Mississippi.
Old 10-12-2008   #9
River Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1whitewattafoo View Post
remember you gotta use 303 every now and then on the zippers, sunblock works also........thats why it broke or user error. I'm no smart ass just follow directions........................................ .......
I religiously 303 them. With the old thick closures that had the lip on the zipper (before the loop tabs) you pulled them straight open without bending. What that did was cause them to sometimes pop open suddenly as you pulled, yanking on the point where the zipper was welded to the bag. As I said above, it was a problem confined to the much older bags (like back before 2000), and it was only a problem with smaller bags from what I saw. It has been fixed nicely with the newer ones that have the loop tabs and bend/pull opening. I worked for Watershed a bit back in 1999, so I'm pretty sure I'm checked out on how to operate the bags.

L
Old 10-12-2008   #10
River Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Anybody remember when watershed was Man Of Rubber. They were the best then too. I have a really old, big man of rubber that blew out on the side panel. Watershed would not fix or warranty it but they did give me a real good deal on a Mississippi.
Those were nice bags for sure, but they took a big step forward when Jim & Eric bought the company and switched to RF welding instead of gluing the seams. The Man of Rubber ones would come unglued from time to time. With the RF welded seams, there's no chance of them coming undone or ever leaking. Welding doesn't break down over time like glue does.

L

Tags
bag