Dry Pants - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2005   #1

Dry Pants

Does anyone on here have experience with Kokatat's Whirlpool Drypant bibs? Specifically I'm curious about how dry they are compared to a drysuit. Also, how well do they mate to a non-Kokatat drytop (i.e. Lotus)

Thanks!

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005   #2

The bids work great as long as you make sure the tunnels are folded well and cinched down by the sprayskirt.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #3

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1992
My friend has Navarro Mystery Pants (they are actually dry bibs) -- Canadian-made, breathable, look decently solid, and Navarro quoted $70 US to me! I suspect any dry top with a normal length fabric inner tunnel should work fine with bibs.
http://www.navarrogear.com/images/cat2005.pdf
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005   #4

I purchased a pair of these bibs for a multiday self support mission........They were quite dry and worked well, as long as you mated the tunnel system correctly (not difficult).

They are however not even remotely breathable......During our mission, the water was extremely cold, but it was quite warm outside especially during portages......I sweat extensively inside of those things and was pretty uncomfortable........Also, they charge quite a bit to get the "relief zipper" added to the bibs, but it is pretty much essential........imagine having to undo all of that work just to use the john........and by the time you pay the additional $150 I think it was for the zipper, you are up to a pretty hefty price tag......

If you find yourself paddling in super cold weather for a significant period of time each year, I would suggest a breathable drysuit.......

All of that being said, they do perform the job......

-C
MAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #5

Eureka, California
MAGS, were you talking about the coated nylon, non-Goretex version of the Kokatat bibs? Or commenting on the Navarros?
Old 12-02-2005   #6

You can almost always find a dry zipper on ebay for $25-30 (scuba gear). That and a tube of aquaseal and your good to go. No need to pay $115 to add a zipper to a $150 pair of bibs.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #7

Yes,

I was referring to the coated nylon Kokatat model......Pretty sure the same ones you are referring to.....

If you are a bit of a handyman, sounds like you could install the zipper yourself.......I really never gave it much thought then, and was kind of in a hurry to get the equipment for the trip, but it sounds like a good idea....

They are a good piece of gear for the price.....I have always been very pleased with any Kokatat product I have owned, and their customer service is excellent.

-C
MAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005   #8

I notice that Kokatat makes a gore-tex version of the bibs ($400+) anyone tried these? I guess by the time I'm spending that much I should start considering the drysuit...
Old 12-03-2005   #9

Eureka, California
... Palm Sidewinder Classic with socks instead of ankle gaskets is $379 from these good folks, if they have any:

http://www.theboatpeople.com/atr_riv....html#Drysuits
Old 12-03-2005   #10

I've heard very mixed reviews about both Palm and Navarro. Anyone care to chime in about quality?