Dry Pant - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2008   #1

Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Dry Pant

Alright so I'm new to this whole forum thing and it took me days to find the make a new post button but I've got a query for you guys. I'm looking at getting a pair of dry pants but haven't ever had a pair before, I have an IR Comp LX jacket and was thinking about picking up the IR Splash pants. Has anyone used them before and is the only reason they're called splash pants because they don't have the latex gasket at the ankle or are they just not waterproof? It says the fabric is the same stuff they use on the jacket I have, which is wonderful, so I would assume it's the same level of waterproofness. Also any other suggestions for drypants?

cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think they're good pants, although more $ than some others such as the NRS. I'd go the IR's myself. Yes, the lack of gaskets is why they're called splash pants and not dry pants. Many people think dry pants are sketchy. Imagine water coming into your pants during a swim and not being able to come out the bottom.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #3

Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
I think they're good pants, although more $ than some others such as the NRS. I'd go the IR's myself. Yes, the lack of gaskets is why they're called splash pants and not dry pants. Many people think dry pants are sketchy. Imagine water coming into your pants during a swim and not being able to come out the bottom.
Yeah I have heard of people getting their pants filled up and being pulled to the bottom only to shed their pants and come up with only their birthday suit on.
cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008   #4

Precisely. If you get drypants with ankle gaskets, make sure you can get the waist really tight otherwise you've essentially got an anchor on your legs when you swim. Every once in a while we here about fishermen who die out in the bush because they jumped in over their waders and drowned before they could get to shore. Same concept. If you don't have a tight seal on the waist, make sure water will flow out at the ankles.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #5

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Don't waste your money. Just buy a drysuit. They are a lot warmer and dryer. The only people I would possibly recommend a dry pant to are rafters because they can take them off without leaving their boat. For kayakers, drysuits are the only way to go. For the dreamiest check out the Kokatat Meridian GMER.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #6

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I found some dry pants at REI for I believe 40 bucks. Gaskets at the ankles and rubberized draw string waist. I've worn them with my drytop and walked in water chest deep with only a few drops getting in. I just bought them thinking they would last a season and 40 bucks is cheap. That was almost 3 years ago and they are still awsome. Just my dos pesos worth.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
As a guide I've used dry pants for many seasons and never experienced the issue with them filling with water. I swam plenty in them for guide trainings and whitewater rescue classes. Frankly, I think the stories of people being pulled down because the pants fill with water are hearsay. Dry pants are not like waders. When immersed the pressure of the water on the outside of the pants prevents them from filling up like a balloon... it's just not possible unless you physically pull out on the waste band to allow the water pressure to equalize. If you don't get it, put your hand in a small plastic bag with a rubber band around your wrist into a bucket of water. The water pressure will push the air out of the bag and then it will conform to the shape of your hand. Some water will trickle in past the rubber band and that's exactly what happens with dry pants... water will slowly trickle in. Dry pants just aren't totally dry in any full immersion situation. I've used the Kokatat and NRS dry pants and I don't think one is any better than the other. They're both good so long as you're not swimming, but if you want to stay totally dry, get a dry suit.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #8

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Try the Dry Bib

While nothing can replace the dry suit, my Kokatat Dry Bibs come close. Combined with my Rogue dry top I have had essentially the same results as my buddies in their dry suits. When they wear out I will no doubt buy a suit but this works really well in the mean time. It also has a doube tunnel to allow room for your spray skirt and I believe they even make em with a relief zipper these days. If you are set on getting separate tops and bottoms I would strongly suggest these.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHimick View Post
If you don't get it, put your hand in a small plastic bag with a rubber band around your wrist into a bucket of water. The water pressure will push the air out of the bag and then it will conform to the shape of your hand. Some water will trickle in past the rubber band and that's exactly what happens with dry pants... water will slowly trickle in. Dry pants just aren't totally dry in any full immersion situation. I've used the Kokatat and NRS dry pants and I don't think one is any better than the other. They're both good so long as you're not swimming, but if you want to stay totally dry, get a dry suit.

Now try this exercise with your wrist facing upstream and water moving several miles per hour (like you are swimming to shore with a ferry angle) and see if the bag fills. Drowning pants are a bad idea.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008   #10

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
GMER. Worth every penny.