Drift Boat down Pumphouse - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Drift Boat down Pumphouse

I'm going to float the Upper C this weekend in my drift boat. It's an easy float at lower levels. Any thoughts on taking a drift boat down at 3500? I know some of the outfitters switch over to rafts at above 3000... Is this necessary?

jmalefyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009   #2

Hope your good on the oars. There are two drift boats at the bottom of the river from last weekend (still there). Don't underestimate The Upper C at this level.
eddyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Were they just completely incompetent boaters or did the river just humble them? I know Pumphouse is labeled as the beginner run and can host a lot of boaters without any experience and river sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009   #4

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
If you're good on the oars you will be fine. Put your rods down and oar through eye of the needle and resume fishing after your done. Those guys thought they needed to fish the whole way through the rapid. Stay to the right as you come through the rapid, dory's get slammed up against the wall going to the left. Fishing is good right now, have fun!

Afterthought, if you do go all the way to Rancho, stay just to the right of the big boulder at Yarmony rapid also. The hole is to the left, going right you just cruise right past the hole on down the wave train.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #5

Denver, Colorado
Are those other drift boats wrapped or did they swamp and sink them? Does anyone know the story?
Old 06-12-2009   #6

timbuktu, Colorado
They swamped and sunk in the hole. Total yard sale, boats have yet to be recovered. I watched their gear float by my campsite. They went left at Hoyt and from eye witness reports, didn't quit fishing until it became obvious they were fucked. Not the first time, happens about four or five times a year to dory fishermen. Only because they think the big one will be caught just before the rapid. Need to focus on the water, I've oared wooden dory's through this section at this level without a problem, many many times. If you sink your dory, can I have it if I rescue it?
Old 06-12-2009   #7

Denver, Colorado
Yarmony - It's a Hog Island, so I'm pretty sure it's unsinkable. The hull is certified by the coast guard as floatation! Why would you want mine when you can have those other two? They're fair salvage. I may try to beat you to it this weekend...
Old 06-12-2009   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmonymatoid View Post

Afterthought, if you do go all the way to Rancho, stay just to the right of the big boulder at Yarmony rapid also. The hole is to the left, going right you just cruise right past the hole on down the wave train.
Um, at 3500 the rock is covered and the hole is to the right. Move is stay left until past the hole then move center/right to avoid the wall on the left.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #9

timbuktu, Colorado
I was just fucking with ya... I'm aware of the fair salvage law. I'm talking to my brother on the line, he lives at Rancho, he says one boat got pulled out pretty destroyed though. The other one is at the bottom of the river broken in half.
Old 06-12-2009   #10

timbuktu, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Um, at 3500 the rock is covered and the hole is to the right. Move is stay left until past the hole then move center/right to avoid the wall on the left.
Bull shit, don't listen to Snowhere, I've done this section about 3000 times, sometimes butt naked on a thermarest. Although that was in my younger years under the influence of State Bridge.