DRE Flip seat - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2008   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
DRE Flip seat

Does anyone use the DRE flip seat? I'm looking at using one on a new boat/frame setup. Their pictures on their website are pretty weak, and I don't think the back part of it (that sits on the rear crossbar) looks like it will be stable for long. Does the "C" ever open up with weight or impact and have that back support fall off the back of the rear cross bar?

lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have DRE seats on both my frames and they are pretty bomber proof. Personally for those long floats, I wouldn't go without the great back support that they offer. Highly recommend!

No, I don't have any financial interest in the company

I actually asked them about spreading the back supports because I was tweaking the distance of the frame tubes and they said good luck on getting them to bend even a little.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #3

at my house, Montana
I am not looking to use their seat, I guess I should have called it their flip bracket.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Can't help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I am not looking to use their seat, I guess I should have called it their flip bracket.

Thanks
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #5

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post

I actually asked them about spreading the back supports because I was tweaking the distance of the frame tubes and they said good luck on getting them to bend even a little.
That's encouraging, hopefully someone uses them though.

That's a good reason to go with the Clavey that just sits on whatever is underneath (cooler/drybox/etc), you can have some flexibility with the frame config.
Old 06-05-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
DRE flip seats are the only way to fly. Super comfortable, and easy to access your gear. Plue being up higher gives you a better scouting view. But- adding one to an existing frame might screw up your geometry, so it might be well worth your time to bring your boat into them and have them check your oar lock height.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #7

at my house, Montana
I don't live anywhere near them. Does anybody have any good recommendations on height of oarlocks to seat? I suppose they should be at about the same height? Does that affect your oar length then?
Old 06-06-2008   #8
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
yes and yes...

see post NRS 6" oar towers - seem short, bumping knees on return stroke
Old 06-06-2008   #9

Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Brackets. Once flipped in warm springs at high water and the seat chundered and was ripped off. flip brackets STILL on with nasty metal jagged edge from the seat. So... bomber proof for sure. The seat is awesome, couldn't ask for a better way to fly.
ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #10

DRE seat

got off the grand a couple of weeks ago, 20 days wth a DRE flip seat. Comfort is A+. Oar riser height and oar length will depend on your raft (cat or raft), frame width, body height. Oar lenght may need to be adjusted for the river, grand canyon long oars, middle fork low water short oars. So maybe short oars with extenders will work for you.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote