Down the drain, looking for help - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2007   #1

Ward, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Down the drain, looking for help

So I bought a new Dagger Nomad this season. I really like the boat but after several outings I noticed that the drain plug threads (which are molded into the boat) are practically non-existent, and they seem to be deteriorating rapidly with use.

I would assume that this would be a warranty issue but my experience so far confirms all the chatter that the guys at confluence aren't interested in standing behind their products. The local boat shop has been calling them for over a week and they won't return a single message. I emailed them photos and no word back at all. Anyone thinking about a Dagger or Wavesport should consider that the boat has no warranty. I suppose if you were persistent enough you might get a response but how much is your time worth, by now I could have bought half a new boat with all the time I've spent and I can't even get the warranty process started. It's very disappointing, I like the Dagger boats but I'm not going to buy something with no warranty again.

Anyhow, working on the assumption that I'm on my own now, does anyone have a recommendation of how to fix this or get it fixed? It's not a very structural thing, could material be added and the threads re-formed with plastic welding, if so who would you recommend Colorado? I could bore it out and get a replacement drain plug and sleeve to bond in, so what would be the best glue for Kayak plastic where could I get a drain plug?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks. joel-

jrutkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007   #2

In my limited experience, Dagger has been good and has kept there word on warranties, at least when they should. However, I'm skeptical that they would be willing to replace a boat for a drain plug issue that does not affect the structure of the boat (I wouldn't give a guy a new boat just because the drainplug threads were stripping). So even if they do offer to help, I would think the most they would do is replace the drainplug for you. And then your looking at not having your boat for a while and all that pain and hassle. I think your best bet is to deal with it yourself. If you want it dry, just fill the hole with some caulk and aquaseal. If you want it functional, get a replacement from Dagger or a shop, pull out the old one, put in the new one, and aquaseal the seams.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #3

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
NOC :: Harmony Drain Plug Kit - $10.99

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Try sending Hobie a private message. (Use "Hobie" as the screen name). He works for Dagger and he could point you in the right direction. He is very responsive for Dagger questions or concerns, and would be a good person to give any feedback regarding communication difficulties to. They will want to keep you as a customer and will try to help you I bet.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #5

Ward, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
In my limited experience, Dagger has been good and has kept there word on warranties, at least when they should. However, I'm skeptical that they would be willing to replace a boat for a drain plug issue that does not affect the structure of the boat (I wouldn't give a guy a new boat just because the drainplug threads were stripping). So even if they do offer to help, I would think the most they would do is replace the drainplug for you. And then your looking at not having your boat for a while and all that pain and hassle. I think your best bet is to deal with it yourself. If you want it dry, just fill the hole with some caulk and aquaseal. If you want it functional, get a replacement from Dagger or a shop, pull out the old one, put in the new one, and aquaseal the seams.

COUNT
so the female threads are molded in the boat plastic, otherwise I'd just order a replacement plug and be done. My concern is how big I can drill out to bond a new plug liner and still have some plastic left to bond to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	142  
jrutkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #6

Oh yeah. I forgot the new Daggers were like that. I defer to Hobie.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #7

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
If Dagger won't warranty of it, I'd permanently plug the old one, maybe even get it welded shut. Then install the aftermarket on the other side of the stern.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
duct tape......
Old 07-03-2007   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Seems like a design problem. Definitely talk to Hobie.

I've installed a harmony drain plug if you need the hole saw or anything.

J
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #10

Golden, Colorado
I'm with the guys who say to caulk it or use duct tape. That's what I do. Drain plugs that don't work are a pain and I don't mess with them. I like my playboat that doesn't have a drainplug. I wouldn't mind if my creekboats were the same...one less hole to mess with.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote