Double rail frame alternative - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-30-2009   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Double rail frame alternative

This looks like a nice alternative to doing a double rail frame with diamond plate/marine plywood - cheaper, lighter, and modular.

Of course with a couple speed rail fittings, some pipe scraps, and some marine plywood you could also build your own. Then just leave the speed rail joints in place and attach/remove the side boards as needed.

NRS Side Rail Racks

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009   #2

Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Raftus, I saw you were selling a two part frame for a 14' Hyside on the swap. Is that still available or did you already sell it? You seem to be knowledgeable about frames and I have a 14' Hyside I'm looking for a frame for. What do you recommend? Buying one/making one?
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Sean will those fit a DRE frame?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
I don't think NRS makes LoPro's for 1.5 IPS tube, just 1.25 IPS - so no. But you can totally make them yourself - or ask DRE to make them for you.
Old 01-30-2009   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
That NRS cat frame is set up for fishing—

One reason to build a double-rail frame for whitewater is that the extra lengthwise members stiffen it, making it less likely the joints will loosen up in the thumpers. So I'd probably do the double rail option (same # of Lowe-Pros) and join the crossmembers for the seat, etc. to the inboard rail.

That way you get side decks plus more bracing, for about the same bucks.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #6

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Raftus I like the way you think, modular, me too.

numbers one, I don'r mean to be stupid but what is a Lowe-Pro?

I built my own frame and used 1.9" OD ( sold as 1.5 ID)tubing with Hollander Speed rail fittings.
I looked into using the 2" or 1" thick by 10-12 wide aluminum stadium, bench, seating rails, like you see at a baseball game. they are light and strong but its about 200 bucks plus shipping for 2-10' pieces but still cheaper than aluminum diamond plate but I don't have double rails so I need the support of the bench seat. Aluminum Seating, Inc. - all aluminum plank for bleacher, bench, picnic table I used marine plywood for removable floors in each section so I can select if we want to fish or float/white water. Jacks Plastic Welding tubes 28" x 17.5' blunt nose
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #7

SE, Wyoming
A LowePro (think I'm spelling it right) is the proprietary NRS frame joint, basically a cast body with a dowel end that fits inside 1-1/4" IPS aluminum pipe (needs to be pinned or bolted) and a U-bolt at right angles that fits over a 1-1/4" IPS frame rail (and can slide when loosened).

There are pictures on the NRS website.

I love the modular approach. Seems like I change my frame setups every season, or sometimes every trip.
Old 01-31-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Hi Turner, I have already sold the frame and hopefully it's new owner will be getting a lot of enjoyment out of it for years to come.

As far as buying vs making a frame here are my thoughts:

Local shops like DRE, AAA, Riverboat Works, and others will custom make just about anything you want. And national shops will sell you pre-made ones. That said there is nothing magical about a raft frame - most of the components are off the shelf - or have been bent, welded, or modified in a fairly simple way. I haven't tried it myself, but several people have told me that most muffler shops can bend 1.5 IPS 6063 aluminum for a few bucks and a case of beer. And you can buy foot bars pre-made if you don't want to bend it yourself - or you can make it out of speed rail joints. The only thing that usually gets welded is the oar tower - and you can just buy that pre-made.

The actual aluminum tube and fittings aren't that expensive. And cutting tube just requires the appropriate saw and blade.

Right now i am debating which path to take. I want one frame to do it all - day trips, expeditions, and maybe also work as a stern mount. So I want removable side boards and a single rail design. I also want the main rails to breakdown so I can go from a three or four bay setup to a single bay set-up. I also intend to have a floor in the rowers compartment for securing rocket boxes and making scouting easier.

The main thing i am debating about is seating options. Initially i was going to go with a slide board - i really loved rowing them in Alaska. But a slide board takes up a lot of length in the frame (partially because I am 6'5") and would limit me to 3 bays. So I am thinking more about a flip up seat bracket.
Old 01-31-2009   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
jaydrury did this for his DRE frame- I'll hit him up and tell him to post photos of his project. It came out looking / functioning well.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #10

SE, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Initially i was going to go with a slide board - i really loved rowing them in Alaska.
You'll think I'm a stupid bugger (and it's true), but what's a slide board? One of those lengthwise plank thingies? Think I saw one on a stern frame (for a guide to row a paddle raft.)