View Poll Results: Which is a better paddle
AT 2 7 33.33%
Double diamond 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2005   #1

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Double diamond or AT 2

Looking for some input. What should i buy? A double diamond or an AT 2? I'm looking at them both as all round paddles for play boating and creeking? I would appreciate any imput that you can provide. But please try and leave brand biases aside. I'm personaly and AT guy, but many people have been trying to convince me to switch.

Thanks

TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2005   #2

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I love my AT2 and I love my BS Sidekick (glass shaft). My elbows can't handle the carbon shaft on the DD, but if yours can I'd say the DD is a more durable paddle. My AT2 has 3.5 seasons on it and is still doing fine with only minimal signs of wear, but I don't creek with it. I've seen a lot of firsthand and video of AT2s breaking on creeks. Not really what it is meant for.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005   #3

I know it's not a choice, but Woody is by far the best paddle on the market and the best paddle I have ever used.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
The woody has a good feel but is very heavy. One difference between the AT2 and the DD is the amt of the bend. I could never find a hand position on the AT2 that felt like home, the dd felt great from the minute I picked it up. If you havent tried the AT2 then try it first. My understanding is that each AT model has a different bend with the AT2 being the least amt of bend. Whether thats good for you or not is up to you. I chose the DD but they are both great paddles.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #5

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
I appreciate all of the imput. I understand the woody is awsome, but im just a poor boy. The price just kills it for me. Plus i can pro form the other two. see this way i can go to school and still paddle. Life is full of shity decisions like that.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #6

DD

DD Kid. You know I've paddled w/ both, and enjoy the new addition to the quiver, but the Werner's going to give you the durability you need for creeking. Too many little impacts and the AT is compromised over the long haul.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005   #7

I know it's a lot of money, but a Woody will last three times as long as the AT or DD (as long as you don't lose it) and that makes it the better investment. And besides, school is way over-rated. Gotta go do my homework.

COUNT
Old 09-04-2005   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
and weigh more than 3 times as much.
Old 09-04-2005   #9

First, Woody Paddles are comparable in weight to all the AT Paddles I have used. Secondly, there are three Woody Paddles with varying weights and durabilities. The CompLite is the lightest but not quite as strong as the others. The Freakstyle is sturdier and a little heavier (this is what I paddle) and the Creeker is the heaviest but strongest. Don't get me wrong, it still isn't that heavy. If you are going to complain about the weight of the Woody Paddles, make sure you do two things:
  • First, state which Woody you are talking about and refer to how your favored lighter paddle compares in strength; and

Second, get your ass pumping some iron in the gym so everyone else on the river doesn't think you're a pussy.

COUNT
Old 09-04-2005   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Nice answer, manly man. Keep pumping and enjoy your paddle.