dory on shoshone? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-15-2010   #1

Palisade, Colorado
dory on shoshone?

I wanna take my dory from Shoshone to NewCastle, some considerations I need help with:

1) I heard you can't back a trailer into the water at the Shoshone put-in? wtf?
2) Grizzly is the next best, but something about a pole that blocks trucks from driving down the ramp between certain hours? wtf?
3) whats it like at 9000? washed out? meaty? boring? need advice...

peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010   #2

vail, Colorado
IDIOT!!!! Do your homework. Have you ever been down shoshone? A) no ramp B) currently closed for commercial whitewater (for a reason). C) Too many rocks, dude yer boat WILL sink. Bottom line- this is not a dory run. Are you really from Palisade? Do yourself a favor and pull down this thread before to many people see it.
foulhooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #3

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Correct, you cannot back down the ramp at shoshone or at Grizzly. At least that was the situation the past few years. I would call 9K meaty in shoshone and splashy Grizzly down. You CAN back down at the access site in Glenwood there where the Rolling (Roaring) Fork comes in...I forget the name of the place...sorry. there is other ramp access a ways down stream near New Castle too. This one is a sand ramp and is a visible pull out off I-70 that I have used before.
melissawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
There is a ramp but you really can't use it at the put-in at Shoshone other than carrying your boat down. It is about 20 to 30 feet depending on water levels. At Grizz, that pole is removed unless there is a lot of commercial traffic usually on weekends. I am running it tonight at about 9k and it is meaty and fast. If I were going to run it in a dory, I would run it above 6k to 9k. Commercials don't run above 6k but other boat can go through. Although last year at 10300 the two boats in front of our group flipped in Pin Ball. Anything below 5k has a lot of rock to avoid as the previous note so eloquently stated. The name is two rivers in Glenwood and the other is South Canyon. Take the South Canyon exit. It is fun to go through the South Canyon wave betwee 5 to 9k, then there is another take out at a rest area between South Canyon and New Castle. Go through Dinasour. That is a fun hole but that will flip you for sure. Stay far, far right or left.
mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulhooked1 View Post
IDIOT!!!! Do your homework.
That's unnecessary. He did do his homework, and is having it verified. And, Taking dories down rocky rivers is not necessarily a bad idea. He may be an incredibly talented boatman. I've seen dories in places that make me cringe, but had great runs. Dories also can run some big lines that would flip rafts. Maybe that's the appeal for him, getting on the river when he can keep his dory safe and still have fun. YOU should do your homework.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #6

vail, Colorado
Thanks canyon you are probably right. P.S. the name of the put in between "Griz" and "Two Rivers" is "No Name". Ironically this put in was named after one of Col Powell's dorys that hit a rock and sank in the "Gates of Ladore" on his famous exploration.
Old 06-15-2010   #7

Palisade, Colorado
Quote:
IDIOT!!!! Do your homework. Have you ever been down shoshone? A) no ramp B) currently closed for commercial whitewater (for a reason). C) Too many rocks, dude yer boat WILL sink. Bottom line- this is not a dory run. Are you really from Palisade? Do yourself a favor and pull down this thread before to many people see it.
right. I am an idiot. and you are a bro-bra that belongs in Vail. please stay there. How long you been there anyway?

you sure theres not a ramp at Shoshone? did they close it to commercials at this level because there are just too many rocks? weird how those rocks come out at high water...

please tell me how it is...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #8

vail, Colorado
Its unlawful to back down the ramp at sho-sho. That IS how it is.
Old 06-15-2010   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Col Powell's dorys
Hardly a dory. 20 or so feet long, no dry storage, a keel, and about a 4 or so foot beam. You try rowing that easily.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #10

vail, Colorado
Im not busting on Powell.