Dory boating - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2009   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Dory boating

With two boys learning to fly fish I think it might be time to get a Dory. I fish the green alot, but wondered peoples thoughts on it (the green) for renting for a day. I paddled a friends through some drifts last week and it felt really weird. Would you start in flat water? Would a beginner be over his head trying the couple little drops in A section?

On a fishing note, aprox 75 fish in a 6 hour day Carolina rigging nymphs. That river is just ridiculous for the numbers of fish.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I've rowed a friends dory down the Upper C with barely any other experience besides kayaking, and had no problem with it. I would think the small riffles on the Green (Flaming Gorge-A section) would be very doable. Plus you wouldn't think that you could rent a boat if the shop thought it to be too much of a liability...
My 0.02.
Old 05-11-2009   #3

If you've never oared a boat (dory or raft) before then you might want to get out on a flatter section. Ultimately if you damage a rented boat you are probably responsible for it so that is something to take into consideration.
I've only been on that section once but I don't think there was anything to really avoid as long as you keep the boat straight going down the tongue of the drops.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009   #4

Park City, Utah
experience

Yes,

I've paddled rafts on flat water alot as an excuse to get out of the kayak and drink beer, but the dory is so much more responsive. It felt really weird. I wouldn't hesitate in a raft, but the consequence of a highside is so much greater in the dory!

I'm going to give it a shot. If anyone else has tips, I'm ready to learn!
Old 05-11-2009   #5

Then I go with Thumper's line of thinking above. A dory is definitely more responsive which just takes a little getting used to but is why they are used for fishing. I would just put in and practice a bunch up top before getting to the first drop. Just keep it straight going into the drops and you should be fine. The fact you have practiced reading water should help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Yes,

I've paddled rafts on flat water alot as an excuse to get out of the kayak and drink beer, but the dory is so much more responsive. It felt really weird. I wouldn't hesitate in a raft, but the consequence of a highside is so much greater in the dory!

I'm going to give it a shot. If anyone else has tips, I'm ready to learn!
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #6

I didn't think you could rent Dories on the Green? Mostly rafts. It's a tricky float (A section) if you don't have a couple days under the belt. The last big right bend can be tricky depending on flows if you're new to it. Give it a couple days on something like the Bighorn (or lower Colo), then the Green is no problem. the B-section on the Green has the only serious rapid to a dory, you need to be pretty familar with a dory for that, easy place to splinter a boat.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
With two boys learning to fly fish I think it might be time to get a Dory. I fish the green alot, but wondered peoples thoughts on it (the green) for renting for a day. I paddled a friends through some drifts last week and it felt really weird. Would you start in flat water? Would a beginner be over his head trying the couple little drops in A section?

On a fishing note, aprox 75 fish in a 6 hour day Carolina rigging nymphs. That river is just ridiculous for the numbers of fish.
I think you would be fine renting a drift boat. I've rowed a friend's boat on the "B" section, and it was no problem. Red Creek is the only "real" rapid on that stretch, and it's really straight forward. They are a lot more responsive than rubber, to be sure.

That's a LOTTA fish. What's a Carolina Rig?
Old 05-12-2009   #8

Park City, Utah
Balloon as an indicator, two nymphs on droppers, four -8 split shot. Deep nymphing. The rainbows are setting up on the sand bars spawning. Like footballs right now.

It is not my favorite way to fish, but is great for clients that can only cast 20 feet effectively. Same rig works on the San Juan on a drift boat real well.
Old 05-12-2009   #9

B.F.E., Wyoming
Quote:
Balloon as an indicator, two nymphs on droppers, four -8 split shot. Deep nymphing. The rainbows are setting up on the sand bars spawning. Like footballs right now.

It is not my favorite way to fish, but is great for clients that can only cast 20 feet effectively. Same rig works on the San Juan on a drift boat real well.
Pretty much north platte dead drift nymphing. Other than the fact that we use 1 AB instead of four #8s.
And three flies...
And a thingamabobber.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #10

Park City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
Pretty much north platte dead drift nymphing. Other than the fact that we use 1 AB instead of four #8s.
And three flies...
And a thingamabobber.
I've tried the thingamabobber. Try the ballon, you'll be amazed how many hits you were missing. It is the most sensitive indicator I've ever seen.