Dolores May 27th to June 1st - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-19-2008   #1

Salida, Colorado
Dolores May 27th to June 1st

Any local voodoo as to whether or not the flows shall hold. I'm waiting for the updated forecast here. Dolores Water Conservancy District

Can't get down any earlier due to life conflicts. What's the local historical perspective. Wttp://www.doloreswater.com/releases.htm

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2

in a van down by the river, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1974
Flows will hold

Dolores River releases will hold through the end of May, peaking 3,000 - 4,000 cfs in the third week of May. Memorial Day is estimated at 2,000 ~ 2,500 but plan on 3,000cfs. The entire month of June should get ramped down slowly and be down to fish flows by July 1.

Hope that helps.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #3

Salida, Colorado
care to guess what flows might be in this time frame

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Dolores River releases will hold through the end of May, peaking 3,000 - 4,000 cfs in the third week of May. Memorial Day is estimated at 2,000 ~ 2,500 but plan on 3,000cfs. The entire month of June should get ramped down slowly and be down to fish flows by July 1.

Hope that helps.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #4

in a van down by the river, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1974
clarification

May 1-31 anticipated flows between 800 to 2,000 cfs for the first 1/2 of the month, increasing to 3,000 to 4,000 cfs in third week of May. Memorial Day flows should be 2,000 to 2,500 cfs, with possibility of peak to 3,000 cfs in the last week of May.
June 1-30 flows should ramp down from peak in increments of 100 cfs a day.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #5

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Well right now we are under a flood advisory from Rico to the Town of Dolores, and the river into McPhee may get close to topping the levee in town (keeping the ducky pumped up in case I need it ). And McPhee reservoir is about as full as it gets, so if the water district doesn't do something soon (ie. ramp up the flows) they are going to have a real spill. They are releasing right now at 2000cfs, and the upper D is coming into McPhee at 4010 cfs the last I looked (about an hour ago). It peaked last night at 5000, and there is still a lot of snow higher up in the Dolores drainage. It is cooler today so that flow may drop. I think you are good to go for this coming weekend on the lower. Last year they turned off the tap right about now (if I recall correctly the dates of the trip we cancelled in the middle of our food buy at Cortez City Market when the cell phone started ringing off the hook about the levels- 1200 to nothing in a few hours- we were in shock)- but that was then.

-Local voodoo according to "Dolores girl"- your mileage may vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip View Post
Any local voodoo as to whether or not the flows shall hold. I'm waiting for the updated forecast here. Dolores Water Conservancy District

Can't get down any earlier due to life conflicts. What's the local historical perspective. Wttp://www.doloreswater.com/releases.htm
doloresgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #6

Salida, Colorado
Nice!

That is exactly the kind of voodoo that you do do that I was looking for.
If you and yours ever need assist with operation fun in the Roaring Fork Valley give me a holler. We got nice digs, free lift service and the Crystal,
Fork, Shosho, G-Wave,car skiing on Indy and one helluva free summer music schedule. W

Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresgirl View Post
Well right now we are under a flood advisory from Rico to the Town of Dolores, and the river into McPhee may get close to topping the levee in town (keeping the ducky pumped up in case I need it ). And McPhee reservoir is about as full as it gets, so if the water district doesn't do something soon (ie. ramp up the flows) they are going to have a real spill. They are releasing right now at 2000cfs, and the upper D is coming into McPhee at 4010 cfs the last I looked (about an hour ago). It peaked last night at 5000, and there is still a lot of snow higher up in the Dolores drainage. It is cooler today so that flow may drop. I think you are good to go for this coming weekend on the lower. Last year they turned off the tap right about now (if I recall correctly the dates of the trip we cancelled in the middle of our food buy at Cortez City Market when the cell phone started ringing off the hook about the levels- 1200 to nothing in a few hours- we were in shock)- but that was then.

-Local voodoo according to "Dolores girl"- your mileage may vary
Old 05-22-2008   #7

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Gosh thanks! Glad to help such as it is. The upper flow has dropped some as the temps have dropped, but we are still under a flood advisory (looks like a lot of Colorado is), and it is still crankin', from the West Fork down especially. The release out of McPhee is still steady at 2000 cfs.
This is where I go for the Lower Dolores flows:
Detail Graph

Have a great trip!

DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by whip View Post
That is exactly the kind of voodoo that you do do that I was looking for.
If you and yours ever need assist with operation fun in the Roaring Fork Valley give me a holler. We got nice digs, free lift service and the Crystal,
Fork, Shosho, G-Wave,car skiing on Indy and one helluva free summer music schedule. W
doloresgirl is offline   Reply With Quote