Dogs on the River - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2009   #1

Dogs on the River

I don't get out as much as much as I would like too....but, the last 2 times that I have floated the Upper C, someone has lost their dog at Yarrmony. 2 weeks ago there was a succesful recovery....today, I am not sure how things turned out (commercial trip, brown lab lost, please let me know if anyone knows if he/she was found).
I always float with my dog, except where permits or water (read-my skill level) may prohibit. He always wears his life jacket, it has a handle to pull him back in the boat. And when we head into something that has consequence, he sits down on the floor and someone has a hand on him.
Dogs follow us obediently where we want them to go, and they love the River. But please people, take care of them. Respect their abilities to swim and take the same precautions that you would take for anyone on your boat.

leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009   #2

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
That is sad to hear. I hope evrything turned out ok. Its sad when people dont take the precautions for dog that have no say if they want to do it or not
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
It's that time of year again, dogs are getting in trouble on the water and our annual thread has started.

I swim like a fish. I am fine getting slammed underwater, being there for more than a couple of seconds, and in general believe I am more comfortable in the water than most. Regardless, I wear a PFD. I wear a hi-float rescue PFD. I don't jump off the boat before rapids, strainers, or dangerous situations.

My dogs are retrievers and rock-star swimmers. They wear PFD's, they aren't allowed to jump off the boat whenever they want. They don't know what is dangerous. They rely on me to take care of them and keep them out of bad situations.

I don't relate to people that think just because their dog can swim well, they don't need a pfd in moving water or they can swim the entire river or jump in whenever they want. Even if it is a tubing-river, dogs will have more fun swimming all day with a PFD on, they get less tired, just like we do.

Very sad to hear about dog problems. I hope they are OK
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009   #4

I was out at Yarmony yesterday and some railroad guys asked us if our paddleboat could rescue a 12 yr old lab near the rapid. We didn't see the dog until we were in the middle of Yarmony. It was on river left smack in the middle of two cliffs and the upper and lower part of the rapid. It had a yellow life jacket on. We could be of no help and it broke our hearts to see it looking longingly at us. We later found out from a fishing guide that the humans had flipped in Yarmony and the poor dog had self rescued where he was.

You know some days are just bad days. The weather was certainly challenging with thunderstorms and hail. Maybe they were in a paddleboat that just didn't make the move at the top. What occured to me however, was that so many people don't consider the Upper C a significant river...especially at certain water levels (over 2000)...I heard from other guides that, "Yup, people have been flippin' boats right and left up here..."

I had sad nightmares about the trip all night last night. I'm not saying a bad day couldn't happen to anyone of us. Dogs just seem to get to pay for their human's screw-ups. I hope the humans did the right thing and rescued their dog.
Mali Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_amore View Post
I don't get out as much as much as I would like too....but, the last 2 times that I have floated the Upper C, someone has lost their dog at Yarrmony. 2 weeks ago there was a succesful recovery....today, I am not sure how things turned out (commercial trip, brown lab lost, please let me know if anyone knows if he/she was found).
I saw the dog yesterday, probably around 3:00. We were asked to look for it by a couple of gentlemen upstream on the railroad tracks, but unfortunately the dog was on river left, smack dab in the middle of Yarmony. By the time we saw it we were flying by and there was nothing we could do to help. (Sorry!) The dog is wearing a PFD, and I hope to hear of its rescue!
downclimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by downclimb View Post
I saw the dog yesterday, probably around 3:00. We were asked to look for it by a couple of gentlemen upstream on the railroad tracks, but unfortunately the dog was on river left, smack dab in the middle of Yarmony. By the time we saw it we were flying by and there was nothing we could do to help. (Sorry!) The dog is wearing a PFD, and I hope to hear of its rescue!
The party that had lost the dog was going to make another lap from Radium so I'm sure the dog got picked up. Doggie PFD's definately make a difference and they have that convienent handle!That makes me feel better.
I realize that sh*t happens. My dog and I have swum both needle eye and yarmony, and he loves being out there as much (or more than) as I do. Thanks for the good input.
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #7
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This thread has come up so many times its a broken record. And like that broken record, I'm going to chime in with the response because I feel pretty strongly about this: LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME! AND THEN I WON'T HAVE TO READ THESE SAD STORIES CAUSED BY IRRESPONSIBLE DUMB ASS DOG OWNERS!
Old 07-06-2009   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I hate the thought of losing our Black Lab in water like this.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #9

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
This thread has come up so many times its a broken record. And like that broken record, I'm going to chime in with the response because I feel pretty strongly about this: LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME! AND THEN I WON'T HAVE TO READ THESE SAD STORIES CAUSED BY IRRESPONSIBLE DUMB ASS DOG OWNERS!
I have to agree and disagree. Just like a small kid on the river there is a time and place for it. At low flows and on rivers were I am as sure as I can be that nothing will happen I will take my dog. But SH!% happens out there and thats why everything has to be just right for dogs and kids to be on the river in our group. The two things I hate to hear are about dogs and kids getting hurt or worse on the river due to people not caring.

But any way I really hope that the dog got out ok and is home with the owners now
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #10

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
please leave the dogs at home.
They are usually an overall pain the butt to all but the owner.
I'm quite sure some will feel otherwise.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote